Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do I remove the default tool settings, default gradients, default patterns...
Gimp comes with a bunch of legacy patterns, gradients, tool presets, palettes, and so on.

I rarely use any of them and I want to remove most of this stuff.

I am using flatpak Gimp on Mint 19.

Any idea how I can remove these things?
I think your best bet is to copy the ones you want to keep to your personal folder(s) and to use Preferences>Folders to remove the "system" folders (the one in /app in the list). This way if you update the flatpak the unwanted files won't come back.

Two ways to do this and still be able to tell what is Gimp and what is yours:

1. Copy the whole folder(s) to your user space, add it to the Gimp folders in Preferences, and then remove what you don't want.
  2. Create empty folders in your user space, and add soft links to the few bits you still use in the flatpak.

In the flatpak application, flatpak contents appear in the /app virtual filesystem. Outside of the application, the files of the current Gimp version can be found at: /var/lib/flatpak/app/org.gimp.GIMP/current/active/files/share/gimp/2.0/
How do I access the /app virtual filesystem?

I plan to copy/save a few files, sure, but where are they so that I can do this?
(07-05-2020, 10:27 AM)mholder Wrote: How do I access the /app virtual filesystem?

I plan to copy/save a few files, sure, but where are they so that I can do this?

It is a long convoluted path Wink

Open the "Computer" desktop icon to bring up the Mint file manager. Then the path is (edit: same as Ofnuts quoted)
File System > var > lib > flatpak > apt > org.gimp.GIMP > current > active > files > share > gimp > 2.0 
and that is the folder with the Gimp default brushes / patterns ...etc

A video demo https://youtu.be/T6vzy3Zt9vI  6 and a half minutes

The first couple of minutes shows that path. Then one way of thinning the files down.  Might give some ideas.

The files you want are in a root owned folder, if you want to delete anything then do that as root. Of course, next time Gimp flatpak updates you get everything back.
Moving and creating paths in the Gimp user profile will remain between Gimp 2.10 versions.
THanks! I wouldn't do it exactly that way, but that certainly works. I have my normal folders that I use for gradients, patterns, etc, and I paste the old ones I want to keep in there, then I remove the legacy folders.

I guess the only issue is that every update I must remove the legacy Flatpak folders in the preferences.

It is nice to remove so many useless (at least for me) patterns and gradients and tool presets and on and on . . . they are bloating up my work spaces.
(07-05-2020, 02:15 PM)mholder Wrote: I guess the only issue is that every update I must remove the legacy Flatpak folders in the preferences.

You should not need to do that, same as a regular Gimp your User profile and all the settings in it, remains between installations.
(07-05-2020, 10:27 AM)mholder Wrote: How do I access the /app virtual filesystem?

See the last line of my post?
(07-05-2020, 07:36 PM)Ofnuts Wrote:

See the last line of my post?

Oh ok, I misunderstood.  I thought there must be an "app/" somewhere in the file tree thing