Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How much do you think will Gimp 2.9 and 2.10 change everything ?
Played around a bit with a development version of Gimp 2.9 and was thrilled but also shocked.

The icons look all different, so i had a hard time finding my usual tools.

The on-canvas gradient live-editing is cool, although it seems that only works for your average two color gradient.

Gaussian Blur seems to use new values now, with smaller numbers as in Photoshop (whatever the technical reason behind that is).
And the on-canvas preview of the filters is great.

Im wondering how much these new features will change old tutorials.

Will Gimp 2.9 be the beginning of a new era for us all ?
On the icons point - in 2.9 they are controlled by an icon-theme, so you could select the legacy theme from preferences.

I have a feeling that a large number of tutorials will have to be re-written, and the icon-theme is going to cause a lot of confusion.
IIRC 2.9 can work in "Linear light" (new) or "Perceptual light" (like 2.8) and this may change a few things a lot.

IMHO they should make that more clear with a change of version (ie, version 3), also because it makes it easier to understand why it can produce files that the previous version cannot read. The devs want to keep the "3.0" name for the version with the new UI... (which is going to break even more tutorials....)
People seem to go crazy for dark themes.
Personally i dont care so much about the look of my Gimp, as its just a tool.

And when it comes to the old icons: i think they were fine.

Can somebody explain why the Gaussian Blur values are now different ?
Personally I like the themes on Gimp 2.9 - I'm a sucker for dark greys Smile.

Also I am excited about the MyPaint brush tool - I think I will DL and have a play.
I only just install 2.8.18 about a week ago.

Things are progressing so quickly it seems.
(10-13-2016, 12:46 PM)Espermaschine Wrote: People seem to go crazy for dark themes.
Personally i dont care so much about the look of my Gimp, as its just a tool.

And when it comes to the old icons: i think they were fine.

I have the monitor brightness set down to equate what-I-see with what-prints-on-paper. I suspect many users have it way up, maybe to use in bright environments. Some of those very dark themes are unusable for me, the menus virtually unreadable.

Quote:Can somebody explain why the Gaussian Blur values are now different ?

I can not explain it, I do not know the changes to gaussian blur, you would need to ask a Gimp developer,  but  Tileable Blur seems to equate to the old Gimp 2.8 plugin.

This a comparison but up to you to try it out.

(10-13-2016, 01:58 PM)rich2005 Wrote: I can not explain it, I do not know the changes to gaussian blur, you would need to ask a Gimp developer,  but  Tileable Blur seems to equate to the old Gimp 2.8 plugin.

According to my experiments it seems a Gaussian Blur of 15px in Gimp 2.8.18 correlates to a 5px in Gimp 2.9.
(10-13-2016, 02:42 PM)Espermaschine Wrote:
(10-13-2016, 01:58 PM)rich2005 Wrote: I can not explain it, I do not know the changes to gaussian blur, you would need to ask a Gimp developer,  but  Tileable Blur seems to equate to the old Gimp 2.8 plugin.

According to my experiments it seems a Gaussian Blur of 15px in Gimp 2.8.18 correlates to a 5px in Gimp 2.9.

The values in Gimp 2.9 gaussian blur are much different to Gimp 2.8, as is the way it works. Interactive and you can see the effect, which is good.
What I indicated was the Tileable Blur filter which AFAIK produces the same effect for the same values as in Gimp 2.8
(10-13-2016, 03:44 PM)rich2005 Wrote: The values in Gimp 2.9 gaussian blur are much different to Gimp 2.8, as is the way it works. Interactive and you can see the effect, which is good.
What I indicated was the Tileable Blur filter which AFAIK produces the same effect for the same values as in Gimp 2.8

I get that.
I was thinking along the lines, how to convert existing tutorials involving Gaussian Blur (like bumpmapping for example) into Gimp 2.9 versions.
If what i was assuming is correct, we would have a 1:3 ratio.