Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to Upload and Edit Clip Art
Hi:

I am designing a line of t-shirts. I already added text to the image and now want to add some artwork.  Doing it myself would take too long so I have decided to just use clip art.  But when I try to add clip art by following a tutorial on YouTube, I can't move the clip art.  I followed the YouTube tutorial to the letter and re-watched it several times.  They suggest going to google images and looking for an image there.  Then it is a matter of doing control alt then print screen.  Next they state that you must past this image onto windows paint and then cut out the stuff from the image you don't want and then paste what you do want onto gimp. I clicked on edit and then paste and then "as an image".  I did this and it does upload the clip art but when I try to move the clip art it does not move.  Also the image is now a lot smaller than what it was before. It needs to be bigger so that it looks proportional to the text that I created. Can somebody please help me???

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

drakingsonHi:

I am designing a line of t-shirts. I already added text to the image and now want to add some artwork.  Doing it myself would take too long so I have decided to just use clip art.  But when I try to add clip art by following a tutorial on YouTube, I can't move the clip art.  I followed the YouTube tutorial to the letter and re-watched it several times.  They suggest going to google images and looking for an image there.  Then it is a matter of doing control alt then print screen.  Next they state that you must past this image onto windows paint and then cut out the stuff from the image you don't want and then paste what you do want onto gimp. I clicked on edit and then paste and then "as an image".  I did this and it does upload the clip art but when I try to move the clip art it does not move.  Also the image is now a lot smaller than what it was before. It needs to be bigger so that it looks proportional to the text that I created. Can somebody please help me???

Plenty of problems:

1) understand the difference between bitmap graphics and vector graphics. If you are only using text and some computer graphics using a vector editor such as InkScape may be better.

2) At 7000px your image is huge. I assume you are working at  a resolution of 600PPI for a 15" design? Consider that the silk screen is around 50PPI...

3) Most bitmap images you'll find on the web are under 1000px. They will all look small when added to your 7000px image, and you will have to use the scale tool to scale them up. But if you have to scale them up a lot they will be blurry (is it better to have a blurry image at 7000px or a sharp image at 150px? you decide).

4) 95% of Youtube tutorials are made by ignorants and aren't worth the bandwidth.

5) There is nothing you can do in Paint that you cannot do in Gimp (which tells you a lot about the validity of the tutorial). I even suspect that Gimp has better tools to remove the background.

6) When you do a Ctrl-Alt-Printscreen you are merely doing a screenshot, so the image you copy is limited by the size of your screen, or mya be scaled by the browser. It is always better to download the original image file.

7) Your screenshot shows that the active tool is the Text tool.  To move things you have to switch ti the Move tool (Move). If the layer you move has transparent parts, click/drag on the opaque parts.

8) To adjust the size of layers use the Scale tool  (Scale)

9) If you take copyrighted material from the web (most things you see are copyrighted, at least implicitly), be prepared to hire a lawyer.
(02-26-2018, 08:01 AM)Ofnuts Wrote: 4) 95% of Youtube tutorials are made by ignorants and aren't worth the bandwidth.

Link is broken Sad

95% seems very harsh
(02-26-2018, 09:57 PM)Espermaschine Wrote:
(02-26-2018, 08:01 AM)Ofnuts Wrote: 4) 95% of Youtube tutorials are made by ignorants and aren't worth the bandwidth.

Link is broken Sad

95% seems very harsh

Fixed (the link, not the percentage).
1) I am using text and computer graphics but the clip art is all png files. InkScape as you said is for vector files.

2) The size of the gimp file in pixels is 5401 x 7200 , the print size is 12" x 16", the resolution is 450 x 450 ppi, the size in memory is 484.7 MG

3) The clip art image is 960 x 960 pixels, the size of the clip art file 177 KB. I guess I should find a large file if I can't get a clear image scaling it or hire a designer to make one that is a better fit with gimp and my file specifications.

4) The Youtube video was the only one that discussed clip art images. Can anyone suggest another site? The Gimp tutorial is very bsic and doers not discuss uploading and working with clip art images.

5) I am not sure what you mean by this. Is that from the YouTube video. Where are you getting that quote from?

6) I downloaded the image and then cut and pasted the file onto my gimp project. I had the same problems. I tried uploading the image directly from my desktop and the image software there. The image was much much larger but that method also had problems. I could not upload it to the gimp file I had already created and it uploaded it to a new gimp file. I could move the clip art around using editing features but could not add text. There has to be an easier way to do this without so much stress.

8) and 9 I will try those features, thank you

10) All of the clip art that I find is ok for use in commercial work. I would never use clip art that had copyright protection.
(03-03-2018, 08:52 PM)drakingson Wrote: 1) I am using text and computer graphics but the clip art is all png files.  InkScape as you said is for vector files.

2) The size of the gimp file in pixels is 5401 x 7200 , the print size is 12" x 16",  the resolution is 450 x 450 ppi, the size in memory is 484.7 MG    

3) The clip art image is 960 x 960 pixels, the size of the clip art file 177 KB.  I guess I should find a large file if I can't get a clear image scaling it or hire a designer to make one that is a better fit with gimp and my file specifications.

4) The Youtube video was the only one that discussed clip art images. Can anyone suggest another site?  The Gimp tutorial is very basic and doers not discuss uploading and working with clip art images.

5) I am not sure what you mean by this.  Is that from the YouTube video. Where are you getting that quote from?

6) I downloaded the image and then cut and pasted the file onto my gimp project. I had the same problems.  I tried uploading the image directly from my desktop and the image software there. The image was much much larger but that method also had problems. I could not upload it to the gimp file I had already created and it uploaded it to a new gimp file.  I could move the clip art around using editing features but could not add text.  There has to be an easier way to do this without so much stress.  

8) and 9 I will try those features, thank you

10) All of the clip art that I find is ok for use in commercial work. I would never use clip art that had copyright protection.

1) If the clip art is simple (uniform colors) then the Trace Bitmap function Inkscape can transform it back to a vector.

2) 450DPI seems too much. 150DPI on cloth would already be good IMHO

3) With vector graphics you don't really care about the size of the image, and since it can be scaled up/down and remain sharp.

4) Generic problem with tutorials. They describe a lengthy workflow where many steps do not really answer your own needs. What you want to do is:
  • obtain an image from the web and put it on your disk
  • open the image in Gimp
  • add text to it
  • adjust image and text positions
  • save to file
Each of these is a rather simple task, for which you can find tutorials

5) Your own words:  "Next they state that you must past this image onto windows paint and then cut out the stuff from the image you don't want and then paste what you do want onto gimp". If Paint has better abilities than Gimp to cut out backgrounds, then it likely has the rather basic ability to created/move text. Or you can use Gimp for everything.

6) I'm confused by your vocabulary. "upload"/download" is about transferring files between computers.

Gimp only sees pixels. If your image is 5400x5400 and you paste a 1000x1000 image in it, it will take about 1/30th of the area (or 3%). If you want the image to take a significant part it has to be at least 3x bigger (3000x3000). But scaling up a bitmap adds blur (roughly the same as replacing sharp edges by a 3px gradient).

If you review the requirements for the print definition, and use 150DPI, then your image is 1800x1800. And your 1000x1000 clipart is almost big enough
Microsoft killed clip art in favor of Bing Image Search, which in Office includes a Creative Commons filter. It's just one of many options, and clip art can still be found elsewhere. The platform which I am using for making them is very cool, you can check it on this website https://clipartcycle.com. I am glad that I have this possibility, because there are many fans of clip arts and a lot of people who enjoy creating them.
Not a bad site. Like just about everything on the internet these days it does harvest information but it does state what is gathered in its privacy Policy page. If you do not like it do not go there or you can use a browser extension like Privacy Badger to block trackers (google-analytics in this case). I do not think I would be too worried about it, no worse than the rest of the internet.

Another site for clipart type images svg and png https://svgsilh.com/ This one uses Creative Commons license and also tracker cookies. Use an add-blocker and Privacy Badger.