Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to blend image in to background color
Hi,
I want to know how to blend the bottom of this image into the color of a black background.

It looks too abrupt at the bottom. I want to make it so that you cant tell where it actual begins and play on the silhouette theme.

Thanks!

You need to use a Layer Mask. There is a tutorial here:
https://www.gimp.org/tutorials/Layer_Masks/

1. (Optional) Add a white background layer and move it below the arm layer.

2. On the arm layer, right click and select Add Layer Mask. Use "White (full opacity)"

3. In the layers dialogue, click on the the layer mask to make it active.

4. Create a white to black gradient where you want the transition to be.

In the attached xcf, right click on the layer mask and select "Show Layer Mask" to see the layer mask. Repeat to de-select Show Layer Mask.

Attached Files Image(s)

.xcf   LayerMask1.xcf (Size: 44.47 KB / Downloads: 160)
(11-06-2019, 08:31 PM)Blighty Wrote: You need to use a Layer Mask. There is a tutorial here:
https://www.gimp.org/tutorials/Layer_Masks/

1. (Optional) Add a white background layer and move it below the arm layer.

2. On the arm layer, right click and select Add Layer Mask. Use "White (full opacity)"

3. In the layers dialogue, click on the the layer mask to make it active.

4. Create a white to black gradient where you want the transition to be.

In the attached xcf, right click on the layer mask and select "Show Layer Mask" to see the layer mask. Repeat to de-select Show Layer Mask.

Thanks!
(11-06-2019, 07:19 PM)getsignups Wrote: I want to know how to blend the bottom of this image into the color of a black background.
I'm not sure if you meant a "black background" or not. 

Did you mean something like this?

(11-07-2019, 12:01 AM)akovia Wrote:
(11-06-2019, 07:19 PM)getsignups Wrote: I want to know how to blend the bottom of this image into the color of a black background.

Yes!
How did you do that?
(11-07-2019, 12:20 AM)getsignups Wrote:
(11-07-2019, 12:01 AM)akovia Wrote:

Yes!
How did you do that?

In this very simple case (you hand is black), just create a white to black gradient, after setting the gradient tool to "Darken only" Since, expect at the bottom, the gradient is always lighter than the arm the arm is not changed.

In more complicated cases (random colors for arm and background), you would have to isolate the arm on a transparent layer, and create a gradient in a layer below it (or use the gradient tool in "Behind" mode).
(11-07-2019, 12:37 AM)Ofnuts Wrote:
(11-07-2019, 12:20 AM)getsignups Wrote:
(11-07-2019, 12:01 AM)akovia Wrote: I'm not sure if you meant a "black background" or not. 

Yes!
How did you do that?

In this very simple case (you hand is black), just create a white to black gradient, after setting the gradient tool to "Darken only" Since, expect at the bottom, the gradient is always lighter than the arm the arm is not changed.

In more complicated cases (random colors for arm and background), you would have to isolate the arm on a transparent layer, and create a gradient in a layer below it (or use the gradient tool in "Behind" mode).

I would add that I cleaned up the arm image a bit as it had some white around the edges. Lock the Alpha channel on the arm layer and paint the edges with a black paint brush to get rid of the white edges.

This was without cleaning the edges up.

(11-07-2019, 12:53 AM)akovia Wrote:
(11-07-2019, 12:37 AM)Ofnuts Wrote:
(11-07-2019, 12:20 AM)getsignups Wrote: Yes!
How did you do that?

I would add that I cleaned up the arm image a bit as it had some white around the edges. Lock the Alpha channel on the arm layer and paint the edges with a black paint brush to get rid of the white edges.

This was without cleaning the edges up.

Thanks!
Appreciated Cool