Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to create an ASCII-Drawing - for a Entire relationship modelo of a db
hello dear Gimp-Experts,

i have to create a entire relationship model for a db - and i need to do this with some modifications and enhancements - ie. some additions.

what if i have a allready created set of data - that needs to be enhanced and adapted - how to do that!?

Code:
+------------------+                                              +------------------+
| organization     |                                              |  hand_type       |
+------------------+                                              +------------------+
| org_id (PK)      |---+-+       +-------------------+     +------| hand_type_id(PK) |
| title            |   | |       |   org_hand        |     |      | description      |
| location         |   | |       +-------------------+     |      +------------------+
| pic_number       |   | |       | org_hand_id (PK)  |     |
| internal_url     |   | +------<| org_id      (FK)  |     |
| external_url     |   |         | hand_type_id(FK)  |>----+
+------------------+   |         +-------------------+
                      |                                          +------------------+
                      |                                          |  topic           |
                      |         +-------------------+            +------------------+
                      |         |  org_topic        |     +------| topic_id (PK)    |
                      |         +-------------------+     |      | description      |
                      |         | org_topic_id (PK) |     |      +------------------+
                      +--------<| org_id       (FK) |     |
                                | topic_id     (FK) |>----+
                                +-------------------+

how can i change the data set - and keep the nice look!?

love to hear from you
For an ASCII drawing, use an ASCII editor eg Windows Notepad.

But why create an ASCII drawing? Better to use vector graphics eg Inkscape.

Or go all the way and use Entity Relation Model software.
If it's an ASCII drawing, you need a text editor, not Gimp. Any decent text editor that supports 1) fixed-width fonts and 2) block-selection (Notepad++, UltraEdit...) will do.

On the other hand, this is 2018, last time I have seen ASCII-based ER diagrams like this was when we were all working on the Y2K problem. There are now plenty of modeling tools that will produce such diagrams, but much prettier. Many will even do so automatically if you give them access to the DB.
hello you both _ many many thanks for the quick reply

well - you gave me food for thought. I need to look for an editor. I need a

- decent text editor that supports 1) fixed-width fonts and 2) block-selection (Notepad++, UltraEdit...) will do.

- an special ER diagrams-editor /software:

BTW NotePad++ and UltraEdit - do the do the trick!?

well - dear all - i try to google to get such tools.
hello dear All

a great tool:

http://asciiflow.com/