Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to edit Multiple layers
So i was just wondering when you have like 10 images on the right side, i have to go through each image one by one to do want i want to do. I was wondering is there a away using transparency you can edit through all of them at once, like select all but that doesn't work. Thanks
(03-24-2020, 06:51 PM)john_brown Wrote: So i was just wondering when you have like 10 images on the right side, i have to go through each image one by one to do want i want to do. I was wondering is there a away using transparency you can edit through all of them at once, like select all but that doesn't work. Thanks

It might be possible but I don't know of a way...if you don't necessarily need them to be on different layers by this stage of your work, you could just get rid of the separation entirely by merging the layers. Image>Merge Visible Layers.
In the general case you cannot edit the layers simultaneously. But:

1) If you want to apply a geometric transform (rotate, scale, move.. etc...) you can chain-link the layers. Then you apply the transform to one of them and the others are transformed to match.

2) Layers in a Layer group are also handled together for many operations (transform tools...). The layer group can have its own layer mask so editing the mask will change the opacity for the whole group, and you can quickly punch a hole in the whole stack by editting the group's mask.

3) For general color operations (brightness/contrast, color changes, etc...) you can merge your layers into a "sprite sheet" and once done split then back to individual layers. There are scripts for these merge/split operations, such as my own ofn-layer-tiles.When your layers are merged that way, you can also use symmetry painting in tiling mode with a tile size set to the individual sprite size. Then any paint operation on a sprite will be reproduced in real time on the others.
Ofnuts, nice trick on 3). Is there an easy way to save the different tiled layers as .jpg files? 
I know it can be done in .png but I prefer .jpg, then I don't need to do a conversion .png <-> .jpg
Another couple of scripts of mine (same location as ofn-layer-tiles):

ofn-export-layers: exports all your layers as individual images

OTOH, ofn-tiles (different from ofn-layer-tiles) does the multiple-files to/from sprite-sheet in one go.
The ofn-export-layers script is working fine in gimp 2.10.18 (windows10). Ofnuts, thank you for the tip. Matching colors/luminance on different photos, this workflow goes faster than working with different windows.
Yea i have 70 images by 1 frame, when put back together again it plays like a video, i just wanna remove most of the awkward background, that gimp struggles to remove. Like a black background but it also removes anything black, on the part of image i wanna keep. But i have to go thought every single one of them, cutting everything i don't want and then saving them Separately. So if i could remove the most awkward part's, i could just then use the fuzzy select tool on the rest. But thanks for the suggestions tho
@denjzos: discussion moved to ofn-layer-tiles thread
(03-27-2020, 12:09 PM)john_brown Wrote: Yea i have 70 images by 1 frame, when put back together again it plays like a video, i just wanna remove most of the awkward background, that gimp struggles to remove. Like a black background but it also removes anything black, on the part of image i wanna keep. But i have to go thought every single one of them, cutting everything i don't want and then saving them Separately. So if i could remove the most awkward part's, i could just then use the fuzzy select tool on the rest. But thanks for the suggestions tho

Are you using the fuzzy selector or the color selector? Is the image already a GIF? Is it color-indexed (see title bar)? Can you attach one of the frames (as a PNG)?
yes i did pick PNG from the video editing software then rendered it frame by frame, so they are all in New Folder down as PNG so that saves me time.