Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to move a new layer?
For some reason I can't post in Gimp 2.10 forum... ? 

I make a new layer. I add an image.
It stays as a 'floating layer' or something.
I can't move it!!
I somehow, after clicking like, mad turn it into a layer.
Sometimes, I can now move it. Other times... I can't!!
What am I doing wrong???

Text layer: I make a new text layer.
Now... I can't move it.
There seems to be some other empty box that gets moved when I use the move tool.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks.
Gimp Ver: 2.10.2
(05-13-2019, 11:05 PM)enginestar Wrote: For some reason I can't post in Gimp 2.10 forum... ? 
On the home page, this is the description of the 2.10 forum:
Gimp 2.10
Forum for 2.10 questions. Since 2.10 is now in wide usage, Gimp 2.10 questions should go in the general section. You can no longer ask questions here, but you can still answer existing questions.

Quote:It stays as a 'floating layer' or something.
Once you have a Floating Selection you have 2 choices:
1) Merge it with the currently active layer - Use the anchor icon in the Layers Dialogue
2) Create a new layer - right click on the Floating Selection and select "To New Layer"
Many functions are disabled until this choice is completed.
@enginestar

I have seen this issue come up more than once recently.

A video demo of the options available here:

https://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-Gimp-2...6#pid13736

I can not tell you what you are doing wrong, just ways to achieve a result.
Thanks for the replies guys.
I looked at the video but am still stuck. I watched 2 min of the video, but didn't get answers to what I needed.

What I want to do:

- Copy a section of an image. Post that selection as a new layer onto the image.
How do I do this?

My ohter part of the question still is the same:

Text layer: I make a new text layer.
Now... I can't move it.
There seems to be some other empty box that gets moved when I use the move tool.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
Gimp Ver: 2.10.2
(05-17-2019, 11:50 PM)enginestar Wrote: - Copy a section of an image. Post that selection as a new layer onto the image.
1. Make the selection
2. Edit > Copy or Ctrl-C
3. Edit > Paste or Ctrl-V. This creates a Floating Selection
4. In the Layers Dialogue right click on the Floating Selection and select "To New Layer"

Quote:Text layer: I make a new text layer.
Now... I can't move it.
1. In the Layers Dialogue make sure the text layer is selected.
2. Select the Move Tool
3. In the Tool Options make sure the Move is set to Layer (not Selection or Path)
4. In the Tool Options select "Move the active layer"
5. Move the layer
You did not look at enough video.
It is all in use of Gimp tools and understanding how they work.

Quote:It stays as a 'floating layer' or something.
I can't move it!!
I somehow, after clicking like, mad turn it into a layer.
Sometimes, I can now move it. Other times... I can't!!
What am I doing wrong???

Maybe "...after clicking like, mad..." is not a good policy. A floating layer is just another layer with a little 'tweak' clicking outside will anchor it.

Until you get used to how things work, convert  the floating layer to a regular one Layer -> To New Layer You can then move that around with the move tool.

Then it depends on the nature of the layer. If there is lots of transparency and the move tool cursor is on transparency, the move tool will find the next layer under that with a solid pixel and move that. Often the background. So make sure the move tool cursor is on a solid pixel or Toggle the Move active layer option which does what it says.

Quote:Text layer: I make a new text layer.
Now... I can't move it.

There are two ways to move text.
1. With the text tool active, hold ctrl-alt down, the text tool cursor changes to a 4-way arrow, click and drag to move the on-canvas dialogue around. It is an empty box, the text remains in original position until the mouse is released.
2. Enter your text. Change to the move tool, the previous note about transparency applies, make sure the move cursor is on a solid pixel or enable move the active layer.

Or, you have started another (empty) text layer. Look in the layers dialogue to see where you are.

All in the video if you can get past two minutes. Alternatively use the Gimp help, that is what it is there for.
move tool: https://docs.gimp.org/2.10/en/gimp-tool-move.html
text tool: https://docs.gimp.org/2.10/en/gimp-tool-move.html (although to be fair this is old)