Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Image and transparency issues
Hi there all ,  I am wondering ( screen shot attached  ) if there is a fuctionon Gimp that will put all four logos in the circle to be exactly the same size.
Also the band logos that I have used are off Google and I have used the magic wand fuzzy selection tool to remove the backgroud to make them transparent. The problem is that they aren't the best. Is there a better way of removing the background simply...

Thanks for your time.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

To remove the background cleanly:

- fuzzy select the background
- Select>Grow by 2px
- Add an alpha channel to the layer (Layer>Transparency>Add alpha channel)
- Color>Color to alpha and remove the background color

You can also use my ofn-erase-background script (a slighly enhanced version of the above).

To scale them: I would use guides to make sure they align. But the Clash logo isn't the same shape, so even if it fits the same "box" it may no appear to be visually the samre size.
(09-12-2018, 01:57 PM)al.da.drone Wrote: I am wondering ( screen shot attached  ) if there is a fuctionon Gimp that will put all four logos in the circle to be exactly the same size.
The logos have different aspect ratios. One will almost fit into a square, another is rectangular. No way to make those the same size. Best is to choose sizes that look pleasing to the eye.

Quote:I have used the magic wand fuzzy selection tool to remove the backgroud to make them transparent. The problem is that they aren't the best. Is there a better way of removing the background
Are you meaning the white halos? is the background white?
Use the fuzzy select tool to remove the white background. Then Select > Grow and grow the selection by 1 (or sometimes 2). Then do Colours > Colour to Alpha and use the default white to remove the white halo.
I'll give that a go thank you very much
Plenty of advice above.

FWIW: my tuppence worth. No special, gimp will do everything for you type of filter.

Put the centerline guides in, If you draw a small square selection in the center - rectangular selection, expand from center, fixed aspect ratio 1:1 - then Image -> Guides -> New guides from selections gives equal margin for placing the logos.

Now make a blank circular temporary 'logo' any size. Put it into the image so that bottom corner is on those guides you made. Use the scale tool, lock the width and height together & drag out to size. The size in the scale tool dialogue is the size you need for those logos.

Screenshot for those two steps. https://i.imgur.com/MP5BHW1.jpg

Get say the clash logo, Make sure it has transparency Layer -> Transparency -> Add alpha channel Make a Circular selection, invert it, cut it. Remove any excess Image -> Crop to content Use the scale tool to size up/down to the size you determined before.

Screenshot of those two steps. https://i.imgur.com/sPhM2uW.jpg

Rectangular logos, some judgement on your part. Crop preferably to a square, resize to the size determined.

Might look like this: https://i.imgur.com/2BgeEq8.jpg
All those are made separately. Why complicate matters by trying do everything in one image. It is possible once you gain a little experience. Make them individually but determine pixel sizes in advance. Then File -> Open as layers or what I do, drag the logos into the main image.
Thanks let me try and tidy u the logos and get back to this one. I half understand what your saying I suppose there's no tutorial in the Gimp archives for this.

(09-12-2018, 03:07 PM)Blighty Wrote:
(09-12-2018, 01:57 PM)al.da.drone Wrote: I am wondering ( screen shot attached  ) if there is a fuctionon Gimp that will put all four logos in the circle to be exactly the same size.
The logos have different aspect ratios. One will almost fit into a square, another is rectangular. No way to make those the same size. Best is to choose sizes that look pleasing to the eye.

Quote:I have used the magic wand fuzzy selection tool to remove the backgroud to make them transparent. The problem is that they aren't the best. Is there a better way of removing the background
Are you meaning the white halos? is the background white?
Use the fuzzy select tool to remove the white background. Then Select > Grow and grow the selection by 1 (or sometimes 2). Then do Colours > Colour to Alpha and use the default white to remove the white halo.
Thanks guys, I'm getting somewhere got rid of the white halos got the logos in proportion happy days...
Sent a attachment quite pleased with myself normally it takes me hours...
Just need to get the text a little better. Maybe is there any filter effect that you know of that makes the text a little more appealing.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)