Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Image on contours
Hope I explain this correctly. I want to put an image onto an image of a bus, so it follows the contours of the bus. Just as the cinema ads do on buses.
Depends on the picture of the bus. If it just a lateral view it shoul dbe just a matter of fusing "overlay" mode. Otherwise, you'll have to apply different perspective fixes on different parts of the image and bend it around corners.
Sounds like you want to put an image on top of the side of a bus and cut out the windows.
I mean these ads are basically giant stickers.
(02-06-2018, 02:03 PM)Espermaschine Wrote: Sounds like you want to put an image on top of the side of a bus and cut out the windows.
I mean these ads are basically giant stickers.
Sorry for the delay. Yes, that's right
whats your experience level ?

know what a selection is ?
(02-26-2018, 11:25 PM)Espermaschine Wrote: whats your experience level ?

know what a selection is ?

I've had quite a bit of experience, but I'm learning more as I want to achieve a result. Yes I know what a selection is.
Maybe something like this,

[Image: hJil5D8.jpg]

A bus, a layer mask, an overlay image.

I would not like to write a procedure for this, a little bit of fiddling here and there. A bit of bumpmapping, a bit of displacement map, a bit of...I forget.

Things to look out for, perspective of the overlay to tie in with the bus (if required) and take heed of ofnuts remark on bending parts of the overlay, I should have treated the top front of the bus area. The brickwork should be parallel with the windows.

edit: updated with a bit of perspective tool working on selections to align the brickwork front of bus.

Try combining the layer in different modes to see what works best.
Yeah! That's what I want to achieve. Still no wiser. 'Bumpmapping'?
(02-28-2018, 04:50 PM)Rob1955 Wrote: Yeah! That's what I want to achieve. Still no wiser. 'Bumpmapping'?

bump map:
https://docs.gimp.org/en/plug-in-bump-map.html

displacement map:
https://docs.gimp.org/en/plug-in-displace.html
Wow, rich's graffiti bus came out great !!

Basically you make a mask of the bus. Everything thats gonna be visible is white, and the rest black.

Blending the image with the bus is the difficult part. The buses we have in germany mostly have their ads on the side, so maybe all the bending isnt required for the first try.

I did something similar here. You could try to use a greyscale version of the bus and overlay it in Hard Light or Value Mode, to add some lighting information to the colour layer.
The problem with displacement maps is that you can only use smaller values, before it rips or looks fuzzy.

For the bumpmapping part: i have seen lots of videos on youtube where people overlay graffiti over a brick wall. You can use a greyscale version of the brick as a bumpmap to give the graffiti some depth to blend it better.