Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Importing SVG file not specifying a size
I have Gimp 2.10 on a new machine running Linux mint,

Im trying to open a .svg file but Gimp is not recognising the svg image size and defaulting to 500x500. I have used these files many times in the past and know they work.

In the past on my old machine (unbuntu 16.04) it recognised the image size and im able to set a width or height and the other variable changes automatically.

Anybody have any ideas?

Many Thanks

Screenshot showing my issue

Attached Files Image(s)

Can you attach the SVG?
Attached svg file

Attached Files
.svg   ZelCore-Txt.svg (Size: 4.85 KB / Downloads: 121)
Technically, it's not a valid SVG. It lacks an opening <?xml...> header, that also indicates which SVG version is meant (because the SVG format is in XML, so the whole SVG file should be conformant XML).

This said, as far as I can tell, 2.10.12 opens all the files at 500x500 by default and this could be a bug. The size is detected correctly on 2.8, but the SVG is not rendered correctly.

You can load the file in 2.10 by forcing the right size: round off the numbers for width and height that you find in the first line
Code:
<svg id="Cube" xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg" width="3278.795" height="799.984" viewBox="0 0 3451 842">

ie, 3279x800. You will have to unlink the X & Y ratios.

Indeed a bug, should be fixed in 2.10.14: https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gimp/issues/2561
@Allsystemgo
Quote:I have Gimp 2.10 on a new machine running Linux mint,

Which version of LM and Gimp ?

@Ofnuts
Quote:.This said, as far as I can tell, 2.10.12 opens all the files at 500x500 by default and this could be a bug. The size is detected correctly on 2.8, but the SVG is not rendered correctly.

That is not happening here. Kubuntu 18.04 / Gimp 2.10.12 from otto..etc PPA Preview shows size, open svg dialog shows size, svg opens at that size.

The original bug report was for OSX then a couple of days ago that linux report..strange....

Edit: Trying a couple of VM's
Found one that opens the svg at 500x500 - Debian 10 MATE DE Gimp 2.10.8
LM 19 Gimp 2.10.10 opened correctly.
For me the image opened in Gimp at the correct size.

But there were 2 faults in the rendering of the paths. The circle and on the last e
The circle can be corrected in Inkscape by converting the circle to a path.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

If you read the bug report and the comments, the problem is the version of the librsvg that you have. 
  • You installed Gimp from a PPA, so it uses whatever librsvg is installed on your system (which likely comes from the 18.04 repo).
  • I use the Linux flatpak version, that comes with its own specific librsvg version, which, due to some not totally unexpected coincidence,is the same version that is used in the Windows packaging.
So Windows user have the problem, Linux flatpak users have the problem, and you have another problem (because the logo renders correctly for us) Smile Note that perhaps your librsvg is older than the one delivered with Gimp (this problem is a regression in recent librsvg versions)
Just some observations on the versions.

Mint 19 default Gimp, same as 'buntu bionic is Gimp 2.8.22 but OP is using 2.10.?? Best guess OP is using a flatpak or snap. Has the issue as you indicated.

Mint 19 / bionic use librsvg 2.40.20 and that is the only version available. Installation from the PPA uses that. No bug
Debian 10 (also 'buntu 19 disco) uses librsvg 2.44.10 and Gimp 2.10.8 as default and have the bug.

Just looking at the 2.10.13 appimage and that has librsvg 2.42 and no bug.

Why do you say the logo does not render correctly? The graphic is ok. All of them show the deformed circular path - Was that not a bug report? Seem to recall one but not able to find it.
I had the same issue when I used the flatpak (on Mint 18.3 Mate + flatpak).
Since I updated my system and was able to use the Kesselgulasch PPA everything is fine.

(Linux Mint 19.2 MATE; GIMP 2.10.12 from Kesselgulasch PPA)
(10-23-2019, 12:38 PM)rich2005 Wrote: Why do you say the logo does not render correctly? The graphic is ok. All of them show the deformed circular path - Was that not a bug report? Seem to recall one but not able to find it.

It doesn't render correctly on 2.8:

[Image: gRNH9Db.png]