Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Importing colors from another gimp file
I am trying to make some paint.net layers into gimp layers by importing the layers. The background grey layer is not a problem but when I open another layer and then try to copy a selected green color area from another ( opened as a new gimp image) bmp image, the color isn't green but grey. So if I then use the color pickers on the green image and the paint bucket on the new layer, it still stays grey?

Given that didn't work, I tried with a new image and a base layer which also needed to be grey. Selecting that grey from another image also didn't work!  Sometimes there is a note in history that I have selected the background color when I know I haven't.

In other words, what is easy in paint.net seems very difficult with Gimp. I used it a lot 5 years ago without issues so I don't know why i's an issue now!
Is any of the images color-indexed? (as stated in the title bar)?
(02-13-2019, 01:35 AM)Ofnuts Wrote: Is any of the images color-indexed? (as stated in the title bar)?

You'll have to explain what you mean.

(02-13-2019, 04:04 AM)jaca44 Wrote:
(02-13-2019, 01:35 AM)Ofnuts Wrote: Is any of the images color-indexed? (as stated in the title bar)?

You'll have to explain what you mean.

When I try a copy a colored part from one file to another as a new layer, it only copies the outline but no color?
When you image is color-indexed this is stated in the image title bar:

[Image: OHrMLPE.png]

In color-indexed images (GIF, and some PNG), pixels colors are indexed into a 256-colors "color map". Any color you try to add to the image is shoe-horned into the closest color in the color map. A quick fix is to change the image to RGB (Image>Mode>RGB) but if you go back to indexed mode (implicit if you export as GIF...) the image is reduced to 256 colors again.
(02-13-2019, 10:50 AM)Ofnuts Wrote: When you image is color-indexed this is stated in the image title bar:

[Image: OHrMLPE.png]

In color-indexed images (GIF, and some PNG), pixels colors are indexed into a 256-colors "color map". Any color you try to add to the image is shoe-horned into the closest color in the color map. A quick fix is to change the image to RGB (Image>Mode>RGB) but if you go back to indexed mode (implicit if you export as GIF...) the image is reduced to 256 colors again.

Thanks. I now set the mode to RGB but I still seem to have problems. For instance I want to add a snow layer to other layers of grass, concrete, and dirt. I open a new layer and apply white in a speckled pattern but it is not showing up really white against the other layers?
(02-14-2019, 05:14 PM)jaca44 Wrote: I open a new layer and apply white in a speckled pattern but it is not showing up really white against the other layers?

You will need to give more details on how you are creating the speckled pattern. Is it a brush or a gimp pattern?

In particular, are the speckles 100% opaque or semi-transparent?
Using brush pattern chalk 2 with 100% opacity. Now I have merged all previous layers and added a 'snow' layer. Now how white it appears depends on the background colour. Against grey, quite white but not very white against green. Brown in the middle.
(02-14-2019, 10:00 PM)jaca44 Wrote: Using brush pattern chalk 2 with 100% opacity. Now I have merged all previous layers and added a 'snow' layer. Now how white it appears depends on the background colour. Against grey, quite white but not very white against green. Brown in the middle.

The brush chalk 2 is not 100% opaque. It is semi-transparent, so colours from below are showing through.

Try the modified chalk 2 brush attached. Unzip it and put it in the brushes folder of your user profile:
C:/Users/Your Name/AppData/Roaming/GIMP/2.10/brushes
Refresh the brushes or restart Gimp

"I have merged all previous layers"
Not a good idea. It is best to keep your layers intact. Makes editing much easier.

Attached Files
.zip   Chalk-Modified.zip (Size: 20.66 KB / Downloads: 131)
(02-15-2019, 06:47 AM)Blighty Wrote:
(02-14-2019, 10:00 PM)jaca44 Wrote: Using brush pattern chalk 2 with 100% opacity. Now I have merged all previous layers and added a 'snow' layer. Now how white it appears depends on the background colour. Against grey, quite white but not very white against green. Brown in the middle.

The brush chalk 2 is not 100% opaque. It is semi-transparent, so colours from below are showing through.

Try the modified chalk 2 brush attached. Unzip it and put it in the brushes folder of your user profile:
C:/Users/Your Name/AppData/Roaming/GIMP/2.10/brushes
Refresh the brushes or restart Gimp

"I have merged all previous layers"
Not a good idea. It is best to keep your layers intact. Makes editing much easier.

Re my last.  How do I modify brush stokes like chalk 2 to be 100& opaque?
(02-15-2019, 05:34 PM)jaca44 Wrote: Re my last.  How do I modify brush stokes like chalk 2 to be 100& opaque?

Use the pencil tool rather than the paint tool.
or
Since that looks dreadful, up the force setting in the paint tool to maximum, stillget a bit of anti-aliasing around the edges.

[Image: TLjme3V.jpg]