Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
In a whirl
Now, I do understand that trying to duplicate the results of an older version of software on the latest'n'greatest can be troublesome, but I was looking over a v2.6 tutorial Cool wave effect and came unstuck.

The tutorial uses the solid noise function as a basis, claims to throw in difference clouds,  lightens things up with colour level adjustment and throws in a motion blur before applying the whirl and pinch function. Then is duplicates the work layer and applies Lighten Only mode to the top layer.
At that point, the reality diverges from the tutorial, as no change is seen with the Lighten Only mode addition (no idea HOW Lighten Only is meant to have any effect with two images with exactly the same values on each pixel). Having tried default Lighten Only mode as well as Legacy(well you never know), and then run through every other mode available (well you never know), I'm stuck as to the solution - other than v2.6 was A Long Time Ago and we do things differently now.

So. Can anybody suggest how the effect shown in the tutorial is produced?
(apart from the tutor fudging the results, of course. I mean; who'd DO a thing like that?)
I agree that the tutorial is incomplete, it is likely missing  a flip of the top layer. Another way is to duplicate the layer after the zoom blur and apply opposite whirls to the two layers:

(10-05-2018, 07:56 PM)Ofnuts Wrote: I agree that the tutorial is incomplete, it is likely missing  a flip of the top layer. Another way is to duplicate the layer after the zoom blur and apply opposite whirls to the two layers:

Very nice!

Thanks for the suggestion - it gives me something almost uncomfortable to look at.