Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Installation issue
I'm having issues installing Gimp on my new computer: a Lenovo Ideacentre 710 running Windows 10.  When attempting to start the installation, I get an error message saying:

"Folder names cannot include any of the following characters: / : * ? < > l".

Can anyone shed any light on this?  I've tried several versions of Gimp and I keep hitting the same wall.
1) Where did you get the installer? (URL?)
2) What Gimp version?

AFAIK the default install in Windows is in "C:\Program FIles\GIMP2" and there is nothing under that with strange characters in the name....
1. I downloaded from the GIMP site; using the regular (non-bit-torrent) version. Is there a recommended site from which to download?

2. I tried version 2.8.20 first; when it didn't work I tried 2.8.16, which didn't work either.
Strange, can you try to force the install to some specific directory (c:\Gimp2 or else).
I'm too stupid to know how to do that...as soon as I click on the icon, the auto-install program begins and I don't know how to take control of it.
IIRC somewhere in the first panels you should be able to choose some non-default install, and the install directory.

But can you make a screen shot with the error message (and anything else on the screen that could be pertinent)?
(04-14-2017, 12:38 PM)chicoruiz Wrote: I'm too stupid to know how to do that...as soon as I click on the icon, the auto-install program begins and I don't know how to take control of it.

Come on, you can do it.

This in Win10 but similar for earlier versions. Trying to make a folder with those characters in the name will generate an error.

[Image: HA110EA.jpg]

Have a look at the first video here: http://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-Gimp-In...202#pid202 and see if you can follow the installation.