Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Installing plug-in
I'm trying to install resynthesizer plugin cause gimp doc is talking about it. I downloaded it and extracted it. I changed chmod appropriately. I placed the extracted folder into the gimp plugin folder of which location is indicated in the preference. I restarted the gimp application. Then no luck. What do I missing here?
What does "No luck" mean in this context? Check the pluginrc file in your Gimp profile. Is the plugin file referenced there? If you start Gimp in a terminal do you get error messages? Rsynthesize comes with a bunch of Python scripts, did you install them (with chmod +x if necessary) in that same plugin folder?
Which version of linux are you using?

What exactly did you download? If it was the source code you need to compile it.

For resynthesizer there are only two files, resynthesizer and resynthesizer_gui

Depending on 'flavour' (debian, fedora, suse, 'buntu ...) there will be a pre-complied version or I might be able to help you out with binaries....let me know.
Thanks for the reply.
The extracted folder has many .py files and resynthesizer and resynthesizer-gui files.
I installed gimptool-2.0 ,and I did "gimptool-2.0 --install resynthesizer" "gimptool-2.0 --install whatever.py". Nothing works. Terminal said " .. not a c, c++ file?"
I did all I can do. What else should I try to get this resynthesizer plugin work?

Oh, my system is ubuntu 16.04.
Sounds like you downloaded the code - maybe from github - and ended up with a folder of files like this. 

[Image: GaedfqX.jpg]

You tried to compile the plugin and failed. Contrary to what the linux guru's say, compiling anything is filled with snags. Different automated ways of compiling, old code that needs fixing, all sorts of things. On top of that is a raft of packages which are needed and if you only compile something once in a while, the bloat is not worthwhile.

To aid the regular user, most linux distributions offer a repository of 'popular' packages that are already compiled and installed using some sort of package manager, muon, synaptic, 'buntus own-lame-manager.

For ubuntu the package is gimp-plugin-registry but this is not a good one to install. 20 plugins, 165 scripts most never to be used. Some details of what you get here: https://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-Plugin...25#pid8025

For just resyntesizer, zips attached containing resynthesizer/resynthesizer_gui and a separate zip for the associated python plugins (these are the ones I use in kubuntu 16.04).  Unlikely that you need all of those .py files heal-selection is the most used.

Remove what you have done to date. Files from the zips go in your Gimp profile ~/.gimp-2.8/plug-ins. Permissions should already be set but check anyway.

What does resynthesizer do?

As a plugin it can make repeating seamless tiles, but do not expect miracles. It is for textures, keep everything simple.

Example before, the fill shows join lines. https://i.imgur.com/8mHQAGc.jpg
Example after, might not look wonderful but no joins. https://i.imgur.com/kMcfEaX.jpg

Using with heal-selection see: https://patdavid.net/2012/08/getting-aro...ction.html

Attached Files
.zip   plugin.zip (Size: 26.32 KB / Downloads: 5,572)
.zip   PluginScripts.zip (Size: 21.36 KB / Downloads: 326)
(05-11-2018, 12:45 AM)gimp-artist Wrote: Thanks for the reply.
The extracted folder has many .py files and resynthesizer and resynthesizer-gui files.
I installed gimptool-2.0 ,and I did "gimptool-2.0 --install resynthesizer" "gimptool-2.0 --install whatever.py". Nothing works. Terminal said " .. not a c, c++ file?"
I did all I can do. What else should I try to get this resynthesizer plugin work?

Oh, my system is ubuntu 16.04.

gimptool is a utility to compile the simpler C plugins.

To install, you just have to put the binaries and the Python files in the plugins folder and make sure they are executable.

For 16.04 you can also just use sudo apt install gimp-plugin registry which will install resynthesize and a bunch of others. If you add the Gimp PPA to your software source, you can also get Gimp 2.8.22 and the latest filters. IIRC there is also a gimp-gmic package to install GMIC.