Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Issue With Brightness-Contrast
I assume that this is a simple issue to resolve. I would be very grateful if someone could help with this.

I have been drawing cartoons as a hobby for several months (by hand), and have begun to color some of them. Because I am a novice with all things technological, I have been watercoloring them. On a couple of the earlier ones I completed, there were some faint pencil marks on some parts of the drawings. I did not worry about it, and thought I could just change the contrast to eliminate the problem. Of course, if I had looked into it further, I would have realized that adjusting the contrast with a colored picture distorts those colors.

So, my question is as follows: is there a way that I can isolate a specific portion of a picture and adjust the contrast only for that portion selected, instead of the entire picture? I was thinking I could lasso a certain part of the picture, make it a new layer, and then adjust the contrast for that portion that is now the new layer. Is that possible? 

I really require a step-by-step instruction, because I struggle using these tools even with the multitude of videos available. Thank you so much to anyone who can help me out with this!
(09-12-2020, 03:53 PM)agjr38 Wrote: So, my question is as follows: is there a way that I can isolate a specific portion of a picture and adjust the contrast only for that portion selected, instead of the entire picture? I was thinking I could lasso a certain part of the picture, make it a new layer, and then adjust the contrast for that portion that is now the new layer. Is that possible? 

It certainly is possible. The usual request is for you to post a typical part of your drawing to determine what is involved.

I have reservations about brightness-contrast to remove drawing lines, but that might be a suitable way, I do not know.

This a two-and-a-half video https://youtu.be/p519Aup078E  Using a quick mask rather than free-select, Gimp has any number of ways to make selections. Followed by a suggestion, clone out the line might work.

Post a part of your drawing and you will get better replies.

I added an attachment. In its initial form, I wasn't able to post it, so I just used the snipping tool to show what it looks like. Basically, you can see portions, such as the top of the "knock knock" and Drake's beak on the top-right, where there are still pencil marks. 

I really appreciate you sending that video! I spoke of brightness-contrast largely because that's the only thing I knew how to do. I tried the mask function, and had difficulties painting over the portion I wanted to adjust. I'm not sure what I am doing improperly.

Maybe now it will be easier to give advice since it can be seen.
That is a bit too small and pixellated, not able to determine how extensive the drawing lines are. With a coloured background I would use the clone (or heal) tool and a fuzzy brush to (carefully) paint out anything not required or you might just paint it out with the paint tool. There will be other ways, there is a plugin resynthesize + heal-selection which copies border pixels into a selection that might work. Wait for other suggestions to come in. Post a full size (small) portion of the drawing might help
Thanks for the help! I tried cloning it and it works like a charm!