Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Krita 5.0.2
Recently updated Krita on my knoppix 9.1 system, and now get the following error message whenever trying to launch GMIC from within the Krita shell:

The GMic Plugin is not installed, or could not be loaded

Since GMIC worked fine for me with Krita for both of the 2 previous versions of Krita that I have used, I'm just curious if any of you are experiencing  similar, or in the alternative can say you are using Krita 5.0.2 with no such problem?

I believe it's GMIC v2.9.4 if I recall correctly,  but can't verify because it won't open. Smile

I even tried installing 5.0.2 on a knoppix system that never previously even had Krita on it, just to assure that some legacy file was not fouling the attempted update...and get the same error on a totally new install.  T.I.A.

Well, looks like the problem is known, and not exclusive to my distro

https://krita-artists.org/t/krita-5-pack...gmic/33730

If I read it correctly, I guess the people who package the repositories and the application developers are not rowing in unison?

Looks like I'll be stuck with the previous version sporting the snazzy christmas-themed splash screen, a while longer

You might be well out of luck with Knoppix, 32 bit packages and the trend is to 64 bit only.
Guessing the krita files come from 'buntu 18.04, the last I can find for 32 bit and that it is what you get in Knoppix.

For a Krita 5.0.2 appimage (64 bit) that is using gmic version 3.0.0. The current stable is 3.0.2 (3.0.1 pulled as having 'critical error') ..big changes since gmic 3.0.0 As far as I can see, no Krita package from gmic.org after that.

The 'testing' section (aka community) now incorporated into the code, no longer the separate updatexxx.gmic file, although a gmic 'update' does download one.
A change in the default way gmic is compiled from a static (single file) to dynamic. So for Gimp now two files the plugin gmic_gimp_qt + a library file libgmic.so.4 ... and that will baffle a few linux newbies.
Add that to Krita 5 now building gmic in: usr/lib/kritaplugins/krita_gmic_qt.so It is going to be up to the Krita developers to use their update function somehow. It is not going to be very clever if the whole of krita updates just for a new gmic filter.

Lets hope Gimp never goes that way.
Rich, thanks for your thoughtful feedback.

It is amusing (to me) how seldom I work with a file larger than 4 gig.  I've got 64 bit machine, 64 bit windows,  for years I wouldn't even consider buying software unless it conformed to my need to feel evolved in that capacity. I even think I've got a copy of Ubuntu 64 bit floating around here somewhere.

But from a practical standpoint, 99.9% of the things I use a computer for, 32 bit is adequate. So, from my perspective, those extra 32 bits are "overhead".   Wink

I concur with your sentiment hoping Gimp does not follow the path Krita is on.

It just seems amusing how just 30 days ago, GMIC was working flawlessly for me under Krita, while using GMIC under Gimp was giving me that malloc error when closing GMIC that would freeze up Gimp.  And now we are the other way around.(Krita being the bigger problem).

I guess that forces me into the position of wondering if going forward it's even worth installing Krita?

Ahh, well. 

thanks again!

Out of curiosity, who typically produces the binaries that I download from the repository? Is it the actual application developer, or the maintainer of the repository?

Someone evidently thought it important enough to produce a 32 bit release of Krita 5.0.2......so I guess the follow through with the plug-in is where things fell short?

(01-19-2022, 10:45 AM)rich2005 Wrote: Add that to Krita 5 now building gmic in: usr/lib/kritaplugins/krita_gmic_qt.so It is going to be up to the Krita developers to use their update function somehow. It is not going to be very clever if the whole of krita updates just for a new gmic filter.

Lets hope Gimp never goes that way.

Interesting thing about that is,  just a short while back I googled  "Change Krita Splash Screen", and found a discussion over on their board where a user was asking how a person might do that.

And the person who replied, identifying themselves as a lead developer, boasted of how they had purposely "baked in" the splash screen, expressly to thwart ambitions anyone might have to personalize their splash.

And now they are "baking in" Gmic as well?  Appears to be a pattern emerging.

Closing the "open source"?

LOL, I guess that it is true what they say about necessity being the mother of invention? I just figured out how to "force" an earlier software version via the Synaptic package manager, so I was able to go back to the pre-christmas version of Krita.....all problems (for now) solved.

Quote: I just figured out how to "force" an earlier software version via the Synaptic package manager
Oh, please share that.
I am sure rickk will give details. Just be careful changing versions, very easy to break, because often dependencies are no longer available.

rickk is using a Knoppix distribution often used as a 'portable' linux and is 32 bit (for maximum computer compatibility), not a regular setup Wink

However, this is my kubuntu 20.04 and I have Gimp 2.10.30 installed from a PPA

In synaptic a right click for properties and in properties a section for versions https://i.imgur.com/ZAHICVO.jpg See what is available.

Then in the Package menu you can force a version. https://i.imgur.com/SvX5Q9A.jpg No guarantee that all dependencies are fulfilled.

That is not the only setting, in synaptic preferences there is a preferred version option. https://i.imgur.com/nljKutK.jpg Note the warning.

Note: I am not above old/ancient stuff, not always easy in linux. This is in the ancient category xara xtreame https://i.imgur.com/DlsDpd5.jpg These old versions generally installed manually from archived packages.
Thanks, Rich,
Thanks for that tip on the version button.
Often noticed that when there is an update of some software they often take the 'old' version down immediately.
So it's interesting to see where to find them if they are available.
Yes, usually I try to keep my system up to date. But sometimes things don't work in newer versions - so I then revert to what I had before.
If every thing fails - I use timeshift to reset the system, keep image backups as well.
(02-01-2022, 09:38 AM)nelo Wrote:
Quote: I just figured out how to "force" an earlier software version via the Synaptic package manager
Oh, please share that.

Rich pretty much nailed it, I just discovered the procedure he describes for the "package" menu item. (his second offering)

Considering that up until December I couldn't  get Synaptic to even work,  and now I'm being selective over how it works, I feel that I have made considerable progress.  Shy  (I'm just not an "apt-get" sort of person)

And, for my purposes, an older version of Krita is not any problem. I'm really satisfied with Gimp. I'm just curious about Krita because I see others mention it. So, I'm pretty much just shopping, looking to see if there is any compelling reason to use Krita for things not attainable with Gimp.

Thus far I really have not bumped into anything that I'd call an advantage.  YMMV.