Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lenovo Brand
I am looking at getting a new computer. Have seen a Lenovo 'all in one' computer that I like.
Lenovo IdeaCentre 300 23.8" AMD A6 1TB 8GB All-in-One

Not heard of Lenovo before.  I will be doing graphics work. (Photo restoration, Fractals etc on it). I don't play games alot. Would this be sufficient and has anybody heard of this brand before and how it  works?

At the moment I am using a Toshiba Laptop but gimp wont complete a lot of stuff because it says I don't have the memory, I cant do full resolution fractals plus my fan has stopped working. I can probably still use it for smaller things after I get that fixed but want another bigger one for other stuff
(02-02-2017, 05:20 AM)sallyanne Wrote: I am looking at getting a new computer. Have seen a Lenovo 'all in one' computer that I like.
Lenovo IdeaCentre 300 23.8" AMD A6 1TB 8GB All-in-One

Not heard of Lenovo before.  I will be doing graphics work. (Photo restoration, Fractals etc on it). I don't play games alot. Would this be sufficient and has anybody heard of this brand before and how it  works?

At the moment I am using a Toshiba Laptop but gimp wont complete a lot of stuff because it says I don't have the memory, I cant do full resolution fractals plus my fan has stopped working. I can probably still use it for smaller things after I get that fixed but want another bigger one for other stuff

LENOVO is the brand which started buying the IBM's laptops' technology (ThinkPad ...)
I have one LENOVO laptop (Intel core I5) from a couple of years and it works fine
On the whole, Lenovo is one of the best brands around. They mostly sell to professionals (they are the ex-IBM Thinkpads) so aren't too well known by the larger audience.
So that's why. I'm not professional
Lenovo are well known, these days their 'consumer' models not much different from HP or Acer. As with anything see if you can find some user comments somewhere, maybe Amazon.

Lenovo do a lot of bundling trial software and reports that some is 'dubious' and phones home. I think that is called Windows 10.

I thought Dell might be a possibility for an all-in-one. There is one under 1000 A$ but only 4 GB memory.

Do not discount Acer, This one looks impressive
https://www.acer.com/ac/en/AU/content/series/aspirec

Acer used to have a reliability problem but improved a few years ago. Again try for user comments,

I bought a new laptop 6 months ago, first absolutely new computer for me in 16 years. Good decision, gone up £100 due to falling pound..etc..etc. No OS on this one, put linux straight on.
Thanks Smile
(02-02-2017, 09:00 AM)rich2005 Wrote: Lenovo are well known, these days their 'consumer' models not much different from HP or Acer. As with anything see if you can find some user comments somewhere, maybe Amazon.

Lenovo do a lot of bundling trial software and reports that some is 'dubious' and phones home. I think that is called Windows 10.

I thought Dell might be a possibility for an all-in-one. There is one under 1000 A$ but only 4 GB memory.

Do not discount Acer, This one looks impressive
https://www.acer.com/ac/en/AU/content/series/aspirec

Acer used to have a reliability problem but improved a few years ago. Again try for user comments,

I bought a new laptop 6 months ago, first absolutely new computer for me in 16 years. Good decision, gone up £100 due to falling pound..etc..etc. No OS on this one, put linux straight on.

No problem with bundled software, anyway it's wiped out and replaced by Linux Smile (the Lenovos are quite Linux-friendly, btw).

Something to check for graphics work is the screen technology. Many Lenovos (but not al...) use an IPS display which is pretty much the best you can get on a laptop.

Lenovos are a standard issue where I work, as far as I recall, since 2001, I have had a T21, T30, T40, T60, T410 and currently a T430.
Yes, I have a Lenovo X61 notebook (made about 2007), very expensive originally, bought used for little money.
A great little machine. Proper keyboard not like the modern flat rubber keys.

Since I decommissioned (scrapped) my video editing desktop I now use this with my ancient Hauppauge video grabber which works best with WinXP. Dual boots linux of course Wink
The company I volunteer for always use Dell desktops or Apple laptops. I've had HP, ACER, & other Desktops. Only the one laptop which was my first brand new computer that was mine Smile. A Toshiba

I have thought about going Linux - Are you able to have a couple of OS's on a computer?