Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Make transparent masked area of text
Hey,
I don't know why I can't figure this out.

I understand how to use "Alpha To Selection" to select text, then delete that selected area from the background layer in order to allow for an image (underneath the background layer) to show through. That's awesome.

I need to allow an image to show through text, but only through the part of the text that corresponds to a particular shape.

Does that make sense?
(04-26-2021, 06:53 PM)magicwand Wrote: Hey,

I understand how to use "Alpha To Selection" to select text, then delete that selected area from the background layer in order to allow for an image (underneath the background layer) to show through. That's awesome.

I need to allow an image to show through text, but only through the part of the text that corresponds to a particular shape.

Does that make sense?

You can compose selection, and intersect a selection on the text with a selection obtained otherwise.

For the above:
  • Add layer, fill with Plasma, move to bottom
  • Add alpha channel to (no longer the) Background layer
  • Create a text layer on top
  • Layer ➤ Alpha to selection to create a selection from it
  • Select ➤ Save to channel to save the selection
  • Using the ellipse tool, create another selection
  • In the Channels list, right click the saved text alpha selection and Intersect with selection
  • Hide the text layer
  • Make the white layer active
  • Edit ➤ Clear (or Del key)
Some more info here.
Quote:I need to allow an image to show through text, but only through the part of the text that corresponds to a particular shape.  Does that make sense?

That is a little ambiguous Wink

Is it something like this

(04-26-2021, 08:20 PM)rich2005 Wrote:
Quote:I need to allow an image to show through text, but only through the part of the text that corresponds to a particular shape.  Does that make sense?

That is a little ambiguous Wink

Is it something like this

Close - except the figure of the man pointing would be showing through the text itself. I'm going to give Ofnuts' method a try.

(04-26-2021, 08:02 PM)Ofnuts Wrote:
(04-26-2021, 06:53 PM)magicwand Wrote: Hey,

Does that make sense?

You can compose selection, and intersect a selection on the text with a selection obtained otherwise.

For the above:
  • Add layer, fill with Plasma, move to bottom
  • Add alpha channel to (no longer the) Background layer
  • Create a text layer on top
  • Layer ➤ Alpha to selection to create a selection from it
  • Select ➤ Save to channel to save the selection
  • Using the ellipse tool, create another selection
  • In the Channels list, right click the saved text alpha selection and Intersect with selection
  • Hide the text layer
  • Make the white layer active
  • Edit ➤ Clear (or Del key)
Some more info here.

"Intersect" was exactly the word I was thinking, but I thought that would be even more ambiguous.

This is close - I need the rest of the word (in solid black, or some dark color) in addition to the show-through plasma part, but I bet I can figure that out.

Thanks, let me give this a try.

This worked.

Save to Channel is awesome - never used it before - the intersect feature is awesome.

To keep the surrounding text I just selected the text layer and cleared the intersected selection from it as well. Voila.

Thanks!
Another way using layer masks.
1) The text with a mask giving the area outside the shape.
2) A layer group (containing the image) with a mask defining the shape
3) The image with the text copied as a mask
4) A background layer.

Using masks has some advantages for retro editing. The image can be easily changed or edited.
Text can be changed (but you need to change the image mask as well)
The text mask can be tweaked, made a little bolder as an example.