Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Making a perspective grid
No time to test but with two vanishing points:
  • Use the perspective on the "front" path to produce perspective to first VP (since it has no thickness, only one VP is at play)
  • Scale copy to pixel size and move to second VP
  • Proceed as before with path-inbetweener
Quote:..Well with more then one VP its getting hard to pull off in Gimp, isnt it ?

I made this a while ago in IS. The perspective of the base text is perhaps the most difficult for Gimp...

Always much easier in some sort of raytracing application.

Had to pull ArtOfIllusion from archive so a bit of a quick render

I am a great believer in using what is most appropriate. Wink

edit: Although thinking about it, same result using Saul Goodes Warp Text script + one of the extrusion methods.
Putting my post above to test:

Incidentally, this is a good example of using a link between a path and a layer, because to get the perspective right you have to get close to accurately align the letters on the guide paths. After creating the text, I used text-to-path, linked text layer and path, made the text layer invisible, and applied the Perspective tool on it. Once I was done, the front path was itself correctly transformed.

Attached Files
.xcfgz   Gimp-3D.xcfgz (Size: 791.91 KB / Downloads: 317)
Quote:I am a great believer in using what is most appropriate. Wink

Absolutely agree.

(11-08-2016, 11:54 AM)rich2005 Wrote: Always much easier in some sort of raytracing application.

This may seem to be a good option at first glance, but once you get to the decorating phase, you will have to trace all individual shapes anyway.
Also bevelling on perspective text has a few problems.

In the end this is all hypothetic and more a technical problem than a design problem.
Form should follow function, so the most important question is, what one wants to convey with the image.
So for comic text, a one VP perspective would be just right.

I think these 3D rendered texts have a place on movie posters and record covers.