Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Manage/compare folders
Could anyone tell me about an application that compares the content between two or more folders in Windows.

I try to keep my Gimps (USB Flash Drive and HD) exactly the same, whenever I make a change in one of them (add or remove a plugin, brush, presets, etc), I make the same change in the other.

But from time to time I end up making unilateral changes, sometimes on the HD, sometimes on the 
Flash Drive.

So when I have time, I compare the folders in my Gimps (FD and HD) and fix the differences. But this is laborious done manually, so I'm looking for some program that makes this routine easier.

Thx!
Samj PortableGimp 2.10.28 - Win-10 /64.
I use FreeFileSync. It compares the files on two drives, and will mirror one drive to the other, or do two-way updates.
It is also very fast.
(06-20-2022, 03:15 PM)david Wrote: I use FreeFileSync. It compares the files on two drives, and will mirror one drive to the other, or do two-way updates.
It is also very fast.

David,

Wow! It seems to be exactly what I'm needing.

I just watched two tutorial videos on how this program works.

I just downloaded it and I'm going to install it and start testing now.

I also intend to use it when I change my version of Gimp to a newer one.
[Image: j8mRM1C.jpg]
Thank you very much!
I have used SyncToy (no longer available) and FreeFileSync to mirror drives. I thought I had good success. Then I did some manual checking and found they didn't always get it right. Now I use RoboCopy and it seems to always get it right. It comes free with Windows. It isn't user friendly. Once I figured out the correct syntax for what I wanted to do I kept the command in Notepad, then copy and paste to RoboCopy. The results are very quick.
(06-20-2022, 05:35 PM)zeuspaul Wrote: I have used SyncToy (no longer available) and FreeFileSync to mirror drives.  I thought I had good success.  Then I did some manual checking and found they didn't always get it right.  Now I use RoboCopy and it seems to always get it right. It comes free with Windows.  It isn't user friendly.  Once I figured out the correct syntax for what I wanted to do I kept the command in Notepad, then copy and paste to RoboCopy.  The results are very quick.

I did a search and learned a little more about RoboCopy - Robust File Copy.
Really a professional tool for secure backups.

Thanks for the tip!
I have been using Macrium Reflect instead of a sync program because I can automate it.  I started with the free version which is primarily for an entire drive.  It does the trick, you can enter an *image* to find a folder.  I updated to the paid version during a Black Friday sale.  The paid version enables individual or groups of folders.  I automate daily file folder backups, they take about a minute.  Automation is less work for me and I have stopped syncing folders.

I found a good RoboCopy site but I don't have it handy.  There are many.  RoboCopy has a lot of options. This is the command I used to sync a pair of file folders.  I type command prompt in the lower left corner of Windows and select run as administrator and then type or paste this command, one tiny typo and the command does not work as expected...robocopy E:\pending N:\pending /mir /copyall  
If using RoboCopy I recommend first making a pair of test folders, put some files in and run the command.  RoboCopy is unforgiving, no warnings like do you really want to delete these files? If my memory is correct the mirror switch (/mir) mirrors the source folder to the destination folder.  The destination folder will end up looking just like the source folder.  All new files will be copied to the destination BUT also all files in the destination folder will be deleted if they do not exist in the source folder.  A different set of switches would be needed if no deletions were desired.
I have used FreeFileSync for many years and never detected any errors. It can also be used for automated copy/backup. It needs to be set up correctly, particularly for time difference between files (such as daylight saving time).
Just for the sake of alternatives, a long standing linux utility kdiff3 that is also available for Windows https://download.kde.org/stable/kdiff3/?C=M;O=D

..not very pretty but it does work. Would I recommend it for sync-ing, probably not (edit: I dont think it does anyway for a USB drive), but it will compare the contents of folders and does recurse sub-folders. As with anything, set up in preferences, the default is a binary compare which takes forever.

A quick 40 second example: Windows 10 https://i.imgur.com/WiNQH8m.mp4 a couple of files missing and a whole sub-folder.
Another alternative Wink

Windows Explorer is a woeful file manager. Get a two pane alternative https://freecommander.com/en/summary/ It is portable put it on your USB drive.

FreeCommander can compare and sync between folders. https://i.imgur.com/oWT3v4z.jpg