Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Modified unknown

How do I get the times/dates back? I used to have them but now I get unknown, even for stuff I have done a little while ago.

Smile
Normally in Windows the new file is written first and the reference to the previous one is deleted. The original file still exist on the drive.The data from the file was probably not written after the last change. Then the data is lost. You can try to find the second last change of the files with a file recovery software. With a bit of luck these have not yet been overwritten. Then there is a chance to recover the original file data from the second last change of the file.

https://www.ccleaner.com/recuva
(02-14-2024, 03:44 AM)sallyanne Wrote: How do I get the times/dates back? I used to have them but now I get unknown, even for stuff I have done a little while ago.

The question should be, Where did you get the files ?  What did you do to them ? What (other than Gimp) did you use on them (moving copying ...)

For example In Windows you can get the unknown date in Gimp if the file modified date is set in the future. 

Using Windows Explorer, look at the properties of a file and check what is there.
Maybe, What is the current computer time ?
(02-14-2024, 10:17 AM)rich2005 Wrote: The question should be, Where did you get the files ?  What did you do to them ? What (other than Gimp) did you use on them (moving copying ...)

For example In Windows you can get the unknown date in Gimp if the file modified date is set in the future. 

Probably a discrepancy between file times in GMT and file times in local time.

Also, when I transferred files from my previous phone with some apps, their time stamps where set very, very far in the future.
@denzjos I have learnt to save space by overwriting - No need for me to keep the originals

@ Rich. I have only used these files in gimp. I may sometimes open in the Irfanview viewer, which is very rare these days as gimp does just as good a job in viewing. I only use gimp to edit. I do use Nik define on a lot but it is still within gimp. They are part of my restoring photos group files only from this year too, most likely this months. I used to always get a modified time or date but now I only get unknown.

@ Ofnuts I haven't transferred them from anywhere; Only downloaded from the net to my computer then back up.

Even original files of my own (where I create new in gimp) have the same 'modified unknown'

Smile
@rich
How do you have the modified date set to the future?

Smile
@sallyanne, a free program you can use use https://www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk
(02-15-2024, 02:59 AM)sallyanne Wrote: @rich
How do you have the modified date set to the future?

Since I use linux, I changed the attributes using linux 'touch' then transferred to a Win10 VM.

Quote: haven't transferred them from anywhere; Only downloaded from the net to my computer then back up.

Well that sounds like a transfer to me.

Is your computer clock showing the correct time ? 

However, for a Windows program to change timestamps you can choose one from here;
https://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?sc=82
Try the second one on the list NewFileTime - get the 64 bit version, unzip and run. A single small (360 kb) file. GUI and drag-n-drop.  Not in that list but an old standby https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/filedatech.html

A one minute animation using newfiletime  https://i.imgur.com/1b4Lxsp.mp4
@denzjos I'll check out that link when I work something out.

@ rich, I hope it's showing the right time, yes it is the same as my phone and I use it as an alarm   Wink
ok, so I transferred from the internet. But not from one computer to another.
I don't change my gimp settings. Not brave enough.

I just checked my folders normally. Date and time is there but not when I browse for photos/pictures in gimp, from anywhere. Is that normal?

Maybe I thought seeing them in other folders they were in gimp too. I use gimp nearly every day so must have noticed a change.

Smile
(02-15-2024, 09:55 AM)sallyanne Wrote: @denzjos I'll check out that link when I work something out.

@ rich, I hope it's showing the right time, yes it is the same as my phone and I use it as an alarm   Wink
ok, so I transferred from the internet. But not from one computer to another.
I don't change my gimp settings. Not brave enough.

I just checked my folders normally. Date and time is there but not when I browse for photos/pictures in gimp, from anywhere. Is that normal?

Maybe I thought seeing them in other folders they were in gimp too. I use gimp nearly every day so must have noticed a change.

That begs the question:  if you simultaneously browse the directories with your Windows file explorer and with Gimp's file selector, what is the time stamp in the Windows explorer of the files that are marked "Unknown" in Gimp's file selector?