Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Move tool :?
Hello, I am having trouble moving a recently opened layer. Can someone please help me
You really need to give more information.  A full screenshot - image + layers + tool options always helps.

The most common user errors:

(1) The move tool is in the wrong mode - It should be in Layer Mode - the left side icon
(2) Trying to move the wrong layer. - Make the required layer active in the layer dock.
(3) When a layer contains transparency, often a text layer, the cursor needs to be on a solid pixel, otherwise the tool finds another layer with a solid pixel, often the background layer. If you have trouble with that, enable Move the active layer in the tool options.

Don't know your Gimp version? Look in Help -> About. It is there in big letters.

With recent Gimp versions there is also a layer lock, the middle icon top of the layers dock. Make sure that is off.
(07-23-2020, 08:40 AM)rich2005 Wrote: You really need to give more information.  A full screenshot - image + layers + tool options always helps.

edit - sorry I was trying to make sense of your double quoted post and cut too much but the xcf is a big help - rich

Attached Files
.xcf   templatehelp.xcf (Size: 111.97 KB / Downloads: 137)
From your xcf and the active layer. 

It is a big layer, the yellow dotted line is the layer boundary, so lots of transparency. Using the move tool, enable 'move the active layer.

Should go something like this: https://i.imgur.com/5qsghrm.mp4
Hello Rich, thanks for the help. However I am trying to crop the skull image and flowers so that it goes into the square with the letters surrounding the circle. Could you please help me do that
Always try to help, not always successful Wink

Quote:.. However I am trying to crop the skull image and flowers so that it goes into the square with the letters surrounding the circle

Looking at your xcf file, get it down to the basics
You started off with a canvas (background layer) - the white layer
There is a graphic "Untitled presentation.jpg" which is a small layer
A text layer which has been added as a path to a circular path. Then used to make the graphic layer Transformation.
The layer Transformation is larger than the image size.
A couple of layers Layer and Layer #1 - Image size and empty.

Nothing wrong with anything up to now. Turning off visibility of the text layer and text path to make thing clear.

First question. Is the lettering in the Transformation layer in the correct position. Is this the layer you are trying to move?

Second question: How much do you want to crop? An area around the "Untitled..." layer to include the 5 AM MOB text or --something else - scale the "Untitled.. graphic to a larger size perhaps.

I am packing in for the night, so no rush for this info.
(07-23-2020, 08:05 PM)rich2005 Wrote: Always try to help, not always successful Wink

Quote:.. However I am trying to crop the skull image and flowers so that it goes into the square with the letters surrounding the circle

Looking at your xcf file, get it down to the basics
You started off with a canvas (background layer) - the white layer
There is a graphic "Untitled presentation.jpg" which is a small layer
A text layer which has been added as a path to a circular path. Then used to make the graphic layer Transformation.
The layer Transformation is larger than the image size.
A couple of layers Layer and Layer #1 - Image size and empty.

Nothing wrong with anything up to now. Turning off visibility of the text layer and text path to make thing clear.

First question. Is the lettering in the Transformation layer in the correct position. Is this the layer you are trying to move?

Second question: How much do you want to crop? An area around the "Untitled..." layer to include the 5 AM MOB text or --something else - scale the "Untitled.. graphic to a larger size perhaps.

I am packing in for the night, so no rush for this info.
Lol u still get an A for helping and effort. I am trying to crop the Im"Untitled presentation.jpg" which is a small layer into the circular path. the small layer is currently a square and I want to make it a circle
Quote: I am trying to crop the Im"Untitled presentation.jpg" which is a small layer into the circular path. the small layer is currently a square and I want to make it a circle

That is the required information.

For the "Untitled presentation.jpg" layer, it needs an alpha channel to emulate  transparency. Layer -> Transparency -> Add alpha channel

Then use the circular 'selection' path to make your circular selection again Select -> From Path

That selection is the center of the logo and you want the outside, so Select -> Invert

Now cut the selection Edit -> Cut

What you do then depends how far you are along making the logo.  Add more detail. Use the crop tool if the lettering is above the logo or shrink down to just the logo.

an example here: https://youtu.be/fgRpc0p96zE  - duration 1 1/2 minutes

Edit:
A bit of spare time, going back over your image and another way of getting there. Just for information, there are always other ways, no one way is correct, just some are better than others. The more you practice with Gimp the easier it becomes. Maybe for your next logo Wink

https://youtu.be/7Kd3zamJwdY  - duration 4 1/2 minutes
Hey thanks for the help and advice it all worked. Before you leave do you know why my text and logo appear more "faded" after al the transitions and selections? Also my photoshop recently expired and I was wondering if you knew and free video editors that work well with youtube vids. Thanks and I hope you have a great day!!!!

(07-24-2020, 08:02 AM)rich2005 Wrote:
Quote: I am trying to crop the Im"Untitled presentation.jpg" which is a small layer into the circular path. the small layer is currently a square and I want to make it a circle

That is the required information.

For the "Untitled presentation.jpg" layer, it needs an alpha channel to emulate  transparency. Layer -> Transparency -> Add alpha channel

Then use the circular 'selection' path to make your circular selection again Select -> From Path

That selection is the center of the logo and you want the outside, so Select -> Invert

Now cut the selection Edit -> Cut

What you do then depends how far you are along making the logo.  Add more detail. Use the crop tool if the lettering is above the logo or shrink down to just the logo.

an example here: https://youtu.be/fgRpc0p96zE  - duration 1 1/2 minutes

Edit:
A bit of spare time, going back over your image and another way of getting there. Just for information, there are always other ways, no one way is correct, just some are better than others. The more you practice with Gimp the easier it becomes. Maybe for your next logo Wink

https://youtu.be/7Kd3zamJwdY  - duration 4 1/2 minutes

Hey thanks for all the help and advice. They all really worked. I was wondering if you knew why my logo and text appeared more "faded" after all the edits. Also do you know any good free photoediting programs? My photoshop just expired
Gimp is a bitmap editor, the image is composed of individual pixels but some pixels at the border of lines can be semi-transparent - that is anti-aliasing - makes diagonal lines look smother.  When you start moving / rotating / scaling then there is a degree of interpolation which will cause some deterioration. It might not be noticeable one time but if you move then rotate, not keen on the result move again, maybe scale a little,  it all adds up.

The latest Gimp is a little better than earlier versions, the unified transform tool keeps everything in memory until finished but you still need to keep transforms to a minimum.

Paths are vectors, independent of size, you can scale, rotate, move to your hearts content but  once you apply to make a bitmap - stroke a path or path-to-selection and fill, then pixels are made & the  previous applies to them.

Text is a little different, you can move it about and change the size as text but once you apply some effect, rotate for example it is not longer text, it is a bitmap and the previous applies.

The bottom line: Try and get everything correct the first time.

Quote: I was wondering if you knew and free video editors that work well with youtube vids. Thanks and I hope you have a great day!!!!

Night here, Different time zones Wink

Video Editing: I use linux, not too sure what is good for Windows. For youtube, nothing special required, I use Avidemux, it is  very hands-on. There is a Windows version.
Or, you could try Openshot. http://www.openshot.org the linux version is not too bad