Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mug sublimation images.
Hi guy's I'm a newby  Big Grin I've been trying to learn how to use gimp for printing images for mug sublimation. I've looked on youtube etc for tutorials but not found what I need. (I'm not very good at this) Blush I want to open a new page/box A4 size then add two images at 10cm width and 8.5cm high to the top of the A4 page/box. I would want the two images side by side. And then to duplicate them on the same page/box. Any help would be superb. 

Cheers, Pal1
There was recently a *long* thread about image sizes in pixels; print size in inches (or cm) and resolution (dpi). Remember that a bitmap editor such as Gimp works in pixels. See:
https://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-Proble...ing-images

1. Use (File > New) to create a new document. See attached image

2. Your 2 images should be preferably be pre-prepaired with correct aspect ratio and correct image size in pixels.

3. (File > Open As Layers) and select your 2 images. They will open as layers, one image per layer.

4. Use the Move Tool to move the image layers into the required positions. Select one layer in the Layers Dialogue, then move it with the Move Tool.

5. If the images were not correct size (2. above) use the Scale Tool to re-size them. In the Tool Options for the Scale Tool make sure that the Keep Aspect is checked.
Remember: scaling an image will result in some loss of quality

Attached Files Image(s)

Welcome to gimp-forum.net

It will be best if you give as much information as possible.

Are you printing at home or sending off for printing?

Do you have a reference to the type of mug to be printed. ( I still have bad dreams about getting a 'latte' mug set up for someone Wink )

First of all, Gimp does not work in centimetres, although there is usually an option to display real world units. (1) see: previous post

One of the Gimp default page sizes is A4. see: https://docs.gimp.org/en/gimp-file-new.html

This will give a canvas, with suitable parameters, 300 pixels per inch (ppi) Up to you to decide on portrait or landscape. Probably landscape.

One way is set up some guides to provide the 10 cm x 8.5 cm working areas. (2)

Then you can add layers with graphics and text, scale to fit if required, move to position. (3)

Duplicate those and move to bottom half. (4)

Always save your work as you go along as a Gimp .xcf file. That saves all the guides and layers. Guides (and grids) only show in Gimp they are not printed.

Export finished work usually as a png. Remember what is 'white' in Gimp is usually 'not printed' and takes the colour of the printed-on material.

Attached that skeleton .xcf file Base layer, guides only. Open it up, see what you can make of it.

Attached Files
.xcf   guides-example.xcf (Size: 34.34 KB / Downloads: 479)
Thanks guy's, this looks fantastic. I have been trying to use info from photoshop tutorials to work in gimp. I did get two images in place at the top of an A4 page but then I couldn't find how to lock the images then duplicate  Rolleyes. I'm working from home. I got a starter kit from Dye sub supplies and plan to put my paintings on mugs (For fun) maybe selling them later. Buy a painting get a free mug  Big Grin Big Grin sort of thing. I'll get on this guy's,thanks again.
Hi guy's, 

I seem to have got this right with your help so thank you. I would like to do templates for -  11oz/10oz Durham mugs, 10oz Fine Bone China mugs. 120z / 17oz Latte mugs.

I think the Durham mugs are covered with your help so far. rich2005 have you done 120z / 17oz Latte mugs, Could you help me with that? Its the shape and form etc. Or if there is a Gimp tutorial you could point me to.

Cheers, Pal1 

I have no idea what those types are, presumably 'Durham' is straight sided. I would stick with those until you get to know the workings of Gimp.

For the latte mugs, You will almost certainly need to make your own template based on actual dimensions. 12/17 ounce? What is that in millilitres?

I did a template based on the one-and-only latte mug in the house, which might serve as a starter. Guessing it is a smaller size. This is based on A4 but is trimmed a little just in case your printer enforces margins and auto scales an image down.

It is a plain base layer and some paths to define the overall shape, a path for 'horizontal' text and an area for a graphic.

It shows up some of the difficulties of a conical object. Attached, give it a try. Print on paper before using expensive transfer stuff.

This shows the problem with text if you need it horizontal and the problem with any picture. Getting it vertical/horizontal.

[Image: XUVcpJn.jpg]

Printed and wrapped around the mug.

The text is not bad. https://i.imgur.com/raRABcp.jpg An easy out is to rotate any text on an angle, then no-one knows if you are a bit off.

The picture, well verticals are reasonably vertical, but horizontals are way off. https://i.imgur.com/T3pwK8K.jpg

I would need to go back and deform the image and bend to a better shape.

What you need to know initially.

Text-to-path
Importing images as layers
Resizing, moving layers, rotating layers.
Path-to-selection for filling and for cropping.

best of luck

Attached Files
.xcf   latte.xcf (Size: 19.31 KB / Downloads: 378)
^^ Looks fantastic, Thanks for your help rich2005. I will play around with this. I have many more questions but will browse the forum first.

Cheers Pal1
Interesting problem !
I learned to be a tailor 25 years ago, so this is like pattern making, except for mugs (and no sleeves or collars, lol).

Gimp does not have an accurate warp feature (or maybe this), but i guess one could make a pattern in Inkscape by subtracting the difference in circumference as wedges to get a path (for the text) that has the exact curvature.

Hi guy's,

I hate to ask the easy stuff, but I can't see it myself  Blush

I opened A4 - opened as layer - resized the image and text to 50mmx50mm - duplicated the image and text six times on the A4.
I want to mirror the whole page to print. I managed to transform horizontally but only the last duplicated layer. 

Cheers Pal1
I suspect you use (Layer > Transform) or the Flip Tool
Use (Image > Transform)