Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Multiplying images
Hi there - I'm a novice user of Gimp so apologies in advance if this is a really simple question.

I have an AO image size of 1024 x 1024.

The image layer that I want to add is only 512 x 512.

I do not want to resize this to 1024 x 1024 as the pattern will be too large.

So what I would like to do is to take the 512 image and make 3 copies and make a 2x2 matrix so that my image is now 1024 x 1024.

I have been doing this in Paint but it is very much hit and miss to get the images to align properly.

Is there a way I can do this in Gimp?

Thanks
Several ways, the easiest one:
  • Open the 512x512 image
  • Edit > Copy: this puts the image in the clipboard
  • Open the 1024x1024 image
  • Start the bucket-fill tool BucketFill 
  • In the tool options, set Fill type: pattern
  • Click on the pattern icon immediately below and set it to Clipboard image (first at top left in the drop down box)
  • Bucket-fill your 1024x1024 image

I am not sure I understand the question..what is an AO image?

You can open the 512 x 512 image.  Then resize the canvas to 1024 x 1024.  Then duplicate the layer 3 times so you have four layers each with the same 512 x 512 image.  Now using the move tool  align the images. You will probably need to zoom.  Then under the image drop down menu select merge visible layers.

edit: oops, Ofnuts is more experienced than I. His is a better solution than mine.
Another way: on your 512 x 512 image, use Filters > Map > Tile...
set width and height to 1024.
Uncheck the "Create new image" if you want the result in place (the layer will be resized to 1024 x 1024).
(05-06-2022, 06:51 AM)zeuspaul Wrote: I am not sure I understand the question..what is an AO image?

You can open the 512 x 512 image.  Then resize the canvas to 1024 x 1024.  Then duplicate the layer 3 times so you have four layers each with the same 512 x 512 image.  Now using the move tool  align the images. You will probably need to zoom.  Then under the image drop down menu select merge visible layers.

edit:  oops, Ofnuts is more experienced than I.  His is a better solution than mine.

Indeed Ofnuts did it well even though the OP (IMHO) may have a bit of a XY problem, anyway the OP's explanations of what s/he want to achieve were good.

@tmanni, something that we (at least me) always forgot, GIMP has a tile tool easy to use, that's a nice solution.
(05-06-2022, 06:51 AM)zeuspaul Wrote: edit:  oops, Ofnuts is more experienced than I.  His is a better solution than mine.

tmanni's solution is even better.
Thank you for your solutions which I'll try when next back on my pc.

An AO stands for ambient occlusion (shadow) maps which for instance use shadows to create the impression of folds in a clothing
template such as a dress to which I apply a pattern. This is then uploaded to a virtual world like Second Life and becomes a clothing item that avatars can wear.

Thanks again for your helpful suggestions.