Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Drop-Shadow Tool - Create New Layer?
One of the reasons I keep using the Legacy Drop-Shadow Tool is because it creates a new Layer with the drop-shadow, instead of what this new one does, which it just edits the existing Layer.

But perhaps I am missing something. Is there a way for the new Drop-Shadow Tool to make New Layers upon creation?

Thank you
There is an option: Merge with layer. Unclick it if it's clicked on on your env

Attached Files Image(s)

I dont know the answer but what i dont understand is why you are not making the dropshadow without a filter ?

Everything works exactly the same and is live on canvas !

01. duplicate layer
02. lock Alpha Channel
03. fill with colour (black)
04. unlock Alpha Channel
05. apply Gaussian Blur
06. offset with Move Tool
07. adjust Opacity
08. apply Layermode (Multiply, Grain Merge, etc.)
09. profit
(06-30-2018, 04:01 AM)dinasset Wrote: There is an option: Merge with layer. Unclick it if it's clicked on on your env

I am not seeing this in 2.10

@Espermaschine
That's great, but the whole point of the script is to automate the steps.
I run Samj's portable pack 2.10.2 (64bits) and that's the std display when entering Drop Shadow (Layer/Layer Effects)

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(06-30-2018, 12:44 PM)dinasset Wrote: I run Samj's portable pack 2.10.2 (64bits) and that's the std display when entering Drop Shadow (Layer/Layer Effects)

ok. I think that's different from the new GEGL drop shadow in filters->light and shadow.

It is nice because of the on-canvas preview, but I agree with the original post that the shadow should have its own layer.
Not a standard Gimp plugin. It is layerfx.py (2.8) from http://registry.gimp.org/node/186

The preview does work - a temporary render of the effect so a bit clunky - but works

Gives 2 layers as a folder group FG + shadow
(06-30-2018, 12:13 PM)mholder Wrote: That's great, but the whole point of the script is to automate the steps.

the whole point of the brain is to automate your life

of all the scripts that have been written for Gimp, this is the one that is most easily replaced by you knowing your stuff
it doesnt make the process quicker, but changes your layer for ever

and if you want to offset your shadow layers by the same amount, use the chainlinks
(06-30-2018, 06:48 PM)Espermaschine Wrote:
(06-30-2018, 12:13 PM)mholder Wrote: That's great, but the whole point of the script is to automate the steps.

the whole point of the brain is to automate your life

of all the scripts that have been written for Gimp, this is the one that is most easily replaced by you knowing your stuff
it doesnt make the process quicker, but changes your layer for ever

and if you want to offset your shadow layers by the same amount, use the chainlinks

The GEGL version, given its WYSIWYG flow, is much quicker than the previous one. OTOH one can also says that it somewhat removes the need to keep separate layers since you can get the required result on the first try.
(06-30-2018, 08:33 PM)Ofnuts Wrote: OTOH one can also says that it somewhat removes the need to keep separate layers since you can get the required result on the first try.

Which gives me the impression the GEGL filter is for quick and easy jobs and not for projects which require complex artistic compositions.