Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New plugin: Rhodonea
Another offshoot of the Parametric curves. Draws rose-like figures.

To get the plugin, go to

http://kmarkku.arkku.net/

follow the link 'Applications', and click the second Download button there. That gives you a .zip file. Unzip it, put the .py file into your Gimp's plug-ins folder, and restart Gimp. The plugin 'Rhodonea' will be in

Filters/Render/Parametric curves/Special cases

If there are any problems, please tell me.
Passing on a request from a Windows user. Would like a #!/usr/bin/env python  starting the plugins. 
They work fine in my linux installation but it does seem that in Windows / Gimp 2.10.18 & without the shebang, error messages are generated. This in a Win 10 VM

As you can (just) see the scripts do produce the curves.
(03-24-2020, 07:20 PM)rich2005 Wrote: Passing on a request from a Windows user. Would like a #!/usr/bin/env python  starting the plugins. 
They work fine in my linux installation but it does seem that in Windows / Gimp 2.10.18 & without the shebang, error messages are generated. This in a Win 10 VM

As you can (just) see the scripts do produce the curves.

Certainly, but this is something beyond my knowledge. I am an old mathematician and know very little about computers. Could you kindly explain a little.

Are you saying that each plugin should have such line at the beginning? Then everything would be all right? No problem, I can do it, but since I don't understand this, I just have to rely on what  I am told.

I have Windows 10 and it seems to make no difference if that line is there or not. Did that Windows user try to add the line?
---------------------------
Edit: Well, I added the line in Spiropath and Rhodonea. I did not change version numbers. If somebody tells that it is allright now, I'll add the line to my three other plugins.
Hello.  Thanks for sharing your work!  

"If somebody tells that it is allright now, I'll add the line to my three other plugins. "

EXECUTIVE SUMMARY: Ottia Tuota, things are allright now.

THE FINE PRINT: As I recall, if the initialization string [#!/usr/bin/env python] wasn't the first line in a python file, in a Windows setting at its most basic level, the plug-in didn't even show up in the designated GIMP menu.  Over three GIMP user forums I don't recall anyone offering a reason why the string position was necessary in Windows but not in other settings.  For myself, I simply started adding the string as a matter of routine when I would download a python script and the string wasn't there.

Tonight I find some things seem to have changed in the last couple of years but I've no idea whether the changes were in Windows or GIMP or Python or all three.  I removed the initializing line from "Rhodonea" and the plugin DID appear in the GIMP menu, but it also displayed errors, but it also ran.  When I replaced the string, Rhodonea appeared in the menu and ran without error messages.

Seems to be a bewildering "quirk" or "feature" for programmers and users alike.
Thank you for your help, Rich and Neurolurker. I gather I'll take it just as another magic word to be used without any real understanding. Well, that is life.

I put here an example created with the Rhodonea plugin. I hope the colors are not too strong. If they are, please close your eyes quickly.