Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New to GIMP - Some basic questions. v2.10
Any idea about this?

In your arrows.zip folder, I see "arrows" > brushes (which obviously go into C:\Users\"yourname"\AppData\Roaming\GIMP\2.10\brushes)

AND 2 other files: arrowdesigner-05.py and arrow-set-size.scm.
I assume that one of these goes into the plug-ins folder and the other goes into the scripts folder?
(04-21-2019, 08:27 AM)Fennec Wrote: Any idea about this?

In your arrows.zip folder, I see "arrows" > brushes (which obviously go into C:\Users\"yourname"\AppData\Roaming\GIMP\2.10\brushes)

AND 2 other files: arrowdesigner-05.py and arrow-set-size.scm.
I assume that one of these goes into the plug-ins folder and the other goes into the scripts folder?

Correct on all counts. 

Scripts something.scm go in the scripts folder C:\Users\"yourname"\AppData\Roaming\GIMP\2.10\scripts 

and plugins something.exe or something.py go in C:\Users\"yourname"\AppData\Roaming\GIMP\2.10\plug-ins

Next question might be: Where are they? Usually you can find with a search in Help -> Plug-in Browser or in Gimp 2.10 the "/" key brings up a search function. However in this case:

The script shows in menu Tools -> Arrow-set-size
The plugin has two entries Filters -> Render -> Arrow designer... and Filters/Render/Arrow from selection.. slightly different ways of the same thing.
(04-11-2019, 05:22 AM)Fennec Wrote: 1.) Is there no shapes or arrows built-in like there is for Windows Paint? I guess if not, I have to draw them or find a .png of these shapes/arrows and import/resize?
Seems kinda strange not to have this built-in functionality.

2.) How the heck do you install fonts? 

I downloaded "Bebas Neue" from dafont and dropped the Bebas Neue.otf file into: C > Windows > Fonts, and it shows up in Paint, but not in GIMP. I then removed it from that directory and double-clicked the file and hit "Install" and restarted GIMP, but It's still not showing up in GIMP either via search or manual scroll. I've tried to follow the GIMP user-manual which seems to be out-of-date. There's no "personal" folder in GIMP that I'm aware of, and there's no "fonts" folder in Edit > Preferences > Folders. 

Really, why is it so damn hard to get even the basics done with GIMP? I shouldn't have to spend a few hours figuring out how to install a font when it works instantly with POS Paint.

Check out You Tube. There are instructions for importing fonts.