Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Newbie: Creating Arrows & Boxes, Merging Images
Hello, everyone.  I am a total, complete, absolute GIMP newbie, and just installed 2.10.22 on Windows 10 64-bit.

There isn’t much I do with graphics.  I know how to do a few things with paint.net, and now want to learn how to do those things with GIMP.

I’d like to learn how to create arrows with different colors and thicknesses, as well as boxes.  I also want to learn how to attach two different images together into one.  I can do both of these things with paint.net, but now it’s time to learn how to do them with GIMP.

I’ve attached a sample image of what I want to do.  I was hoping someone might be able to direct me to tutorials that show how to do this.  I’m sure creating arrows and boxes are pretty simple, but I’m still trying to get familiar with the interface.  A tutorial or video that demonstrates these things would be great.

Thank you very much!  J. Danniel

[Image: gimptest.jpg]
Any number of ways to put two images side by side. One way shown in the video.

Arrows: There are several scripts and plugins from over-complicated to over-simple to make an arrow. This one is mid-range https://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-Arrow-Script download the zip, unzip, put arrow-set-size.scm in C:\Users\"yourname"\AppData\Roaming\GIMP\2.10\scripts

Totally forgot the Rectangle Wink Make a new transparent layer. Draw the rectangle with the rectangular select tool to give a selection. Use Edit -> Stroke selection for the outline. Uses the FG colour. Turn the selection off Select -> None Why use a new layer ? Easy to delete and start again.

Video demo 4 minutes: https://youtu.be/Gej3E_Az0aM

Should get you started. The best way to learn Gimp is dive in and experiment.
Concerning arrows, there already existing some threads, one of this : https://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-Arrow-...ght=arrows
Thank you for replying.

Rich, I did download and install that script.  I need help with it.  When I go into Tools/Arrow, and the Arrow dialog box appears, I am not sure what to adjust.

Let's start off with something basic.  How do I set that dialog box to get the absolute thinnest arrow shaft possible, and how do I set it to have a thin arrow head?  Everything I tried so far results is a big blotch that covers the entire image.

Would it be possible for you (or anyone else reading this) to just steer me in the right direction?

Let me tell you what I've done so far.

1.  Open a test image.
2.  Go into Paths tool.
3.  Set a starting point and then a closing point, so there are now two points in the test image.
4.  Go into Tools/Arrow.

Here's where I get lost.  I don't know what length of wings means.  And I'm not sure what to set.  Here's what I get:

[Image: arrow1.jpg]

And...regarding the side-by-side images. I watched the video, and I'm probably going to have to watch it several times more, pausing each step.

I haven't figured out how to shrink an image yet. Will work on that.
Everything is in pixels, Gimp works in pixels. The length of wings (LoW) is the arrow head. Larger the value, larger the arrow head.
There is adjustment to the shape, the angle between arrow and wings is the 'pointy-ness' and Fill head of arrow is 'style'

Same with the stem of the arrow, that is the brush thickness (BT) value. Thickness in pixels.

I do not know how you got your result. I do not know the image size or the script setting.

Another short video that might help. https://youtu.be/6Vb-A5e14ik

In my timezone, time to call it a day. bye.
I think I figured it out.  Here is a sample of my experimenting, along with a sample dialog box where I changed some settings. For each sample arrow, I just changed a few numbers in the dialog box. I changed the Length of Wings Type and Brush Thickness type just to see what happens, and it seems that was the breakthrough.

[Image: arrowtest.jpg]

[Image: dialogbox.jpg]

How did I do? Jd
Creating rectangles was pretty easy.  

[Image: rectangletest.jpg]
And here's my attempt at merging two images.    This required a bit more practice and research, but I did it.  I also added a red border to it, to see how that works.
[Image: merged.jpg]