Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Newbie question: Simulating 30X optical zoom
Hello,

Please forgive this newbie..probably silly...question, but is there a way to simulate a 30x optical zoom in Gimp?  I have an image shot on my Nikon D3300 at 18-mm of the entrance of the sanctuary of my church.  I need to zoom into the picture as though the image was shot from a 30x optical PTZ camera at its tightest shot.  Do I just zoom into the picture with "30 times magnification?" Thanks for the help.  

Brian Willis
SC
Bitmap editors only do digital zoom. 2x or 3x magnification could be OK, depending on what you want to do with image. 30x magnification won't give good results.
(11-12-2019, 02:15 AM)briwillis Wrote: Hello,

Please forgive this newbie..probably silly...question, but is there a way to simulate a 30x optical zoom in Gimp?  I have an image shot on my Nikon D3300 at 18-mm of the entrance of the sanctuary of my church.  I need to zoom into the picture as though the image was shot from a 30x optical PTZ camera at its tightest shot.  Do I just zoom into the picture with "30 times magnification?" Thanks for the help.  

Brian Willis
SC

Practically, no. There no information hidden in the pixels. You will get an image where a cluster of 1000pixels (30x30=900) contains the same information as one pixel in the original image. It will be very, very blurry.
All depends on the Nikon shot and what you want to do with the 'close-up' but...

A D3300 is 24 pixel and can take an image 6000 x 4000 pixels. What sort of size can you crop out just the close-up?

Maybe 1000 x 1500 pix and then scale up (perhaps) x2 A 2000 x 3000 image will not print that large but you will get a 6" x 10" print.

Not going to 30x for the reasons stated by Ofnuts, You might get something though.
Next time you want a picture where you can zoom 30x without blurring the result is to take multiple pictures of the whole entrance and make a big panorama photo using HUGIN or other program. 

http://hugin.sourceforge.net/tutorials/m...w/en.shtml