Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Opening file/photo
Am I right assuming that when I open a photo as layer that the original photo is safe from any changes made on the layer?
(03-05-2019, 09:02 AM)Pieter Johan Botha Wrote: Am I right assuming that when I open a photo as layer that the original photo is safe from any changes made on the layer?
Yes and No. The image is held in memory so the original (as a file on disk) is unaltered providing you do not export / save using the same file name / file format

But over the years many horror stories from users not paying enough attention.
(03-05-2019, 09:16 AM)rich2005 Wrote:
(03-05-2019, 09:02 AM)Pieter Johan Botha Wrote: Am I right assuming that when I open a photo as layer that the original photo is safe from any changes made on the layer?
Yes and No. The image is held in memory so the original (as a file on disk) is unaltered providing you do not export / save using the same file name / file format

But over the years many horror stories from users not paying enough attention.

Ok, so my safest option is the age-old save as route and use my usual file naming as in xxxxoriginal.*** and xxxxwork.***

I usually keep originals and working copies in different directories for safety - schlepp, but it seems to be the the best way to go, and not rely on 'open as layer' option only.

Thanks.
That is a sensible procedure.

Remember if you save (.xcf format) you keep layers, so you can have an 'original' and a 'working' in the same file. There are also layer groups and 'new-from-visible' to keep stages as you go along.

The usual advice, save frequently. If working with large images, keep an eye on the progress bar bottom of the Gimp image window. There have been 'accidents' with closing Gimp before the image is properly saved, although I believe the Gimp developers have added code to prevent this.

Yes, because the image is linked to the file of the initial layer (if there is one). Another method is to open the image normally, and then do Image>Duplicate (Ctrl-D) and close the source image. The copy will lose the relation to the source file (as indicated by its "untitled" name).

If you want to make sure you don't overwrite your original images, you can mark them as a read-only using the file utilities for your OS.

And backup your files.
Thank you.

Confirmed my 'old-style' save & backup is the safest way of dealing with the issue.
Will play around with ' open as layer' option to explore possibilities.

Have a good one.?
By open as layer,I assume you mean through the menu File - > Open as Layer.
If so,
In Windows OS, Open as layer doesn't necessarily impact saving or discarding modifications on the file being opened. Saving/discarding changes to a file follows the same standard as any file type of OS. If changes need to be discarded, simply close the file and when prompted with "Do you want to save changes?" , Reply with "No" and the file will be unaltered irrespective of the file being opened in Open as Layer mode.

File->Open will open files as separate files and any changes to files will be saved to the respective files.

File->Open as Layer will open separate files(with layers as is in each file) on one File and all changes to files being opened will be saved on one File. The layers will be stacked in the order in which the files are opened.With first file being opened as the bottom most layer and any file being opened after that will fall on top of the previous file.
Also, When opening photos or files that are of file type JPEG or PNG, When opened it GIMP, Any changes performed on the file will be saved as a .xcf file unless intentionally exported to the same JPEG or PNG format with the same filename which is very unlikely if you wanted to avert any unintentional changes to original file which is JPEG or PNG.

tl;dr Image files of type JPEG or PNG will not be affected by opening them in GIMP as they will be saved under GIMP file type which is .xcf.
Thanks techie1484, you've answered questions I've wondered about... Smile ...
Big Grin 
(03-10-2019, 06:33 PM)FlutteringBy Wrote: Thanks techie1484, you've answered questions I've wondered about... Smile ...

Glad i could be of help. Smile