Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PDF export comes out wrong
Bug 
Hi, I have an XCF that looks right while viewing, and comes out okay as a JPG, but when I export PDF, some layers look very wrong.  I have a drop shadow and two "soft light" mode layers, and one or all of them are coming out as an ugly flat brown color instead of the shadow/texture I see while editing.

This is on 2.1.  I was using an older version to author the file, but PDF export started *crashing* there, so I upgraded to 2.1 today.  That exports, but has this bad artifact.

XCF is here: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AlV7bW7zx2N8ps8QXG-4...Q?e=RVFQtA
The problem is the "bird" image inside the necklace.  It comes out flat brown.
The incorrect PDF is here: https://1drv.ms/b/s!AlV7bW7zx2N8ps8cP2eD...A?e=3hFGqV

And I export with "Apply layer masks before saving" plus "convert bitmaps to vector graphics" plus "omit hidden layers" checked.

Thanks for any help you can offer!
First flatten image and then export to PDF. On my PC this works fine.
Quote:First flatten image and then export to PDF. On my PC this works fine.

Follow this advice, but make sure you backup the Gimp xcf file first. Another way is export the file to a png then create the PDF from that.

Your xcf obviously comes from Gimp 2.8 and yes using Gimp 2.8 exporting to PDF crashes here as well.  
Why those 'Raven' layers (soft light legacy mode)  act that way I could not determine, tried all ways but back to flattening. You would only actually have to merge down layers in the sequence: cover / Raven / Raven #2 to keep the effect.

However (always a however)  Gimp 2.8 automatically flattened before creating the PDF, the developers have tried to improve Gimp 2.10 PDF export by including font information, which can result in this. 

You used the font Sitka Text Bold, That font does not exist on my computer so there is a font-substitution. This has been reported as a bug, no fix in sight, so at the moment when using Gimp 'flatten first' is the rule.
Thanks a lot!

I had a little bit of trouble flattening the layers that were giving me trouble - the order was a bit sensitive, and if I did it in the order it didn't like, I got the weird brown effect. But I got it to work, and now my PDF is what I expected.

Thanks for the warning about the fonts too! As a cautionary measure I've chosen to drop text information from those layers.
(03-31-2020, 10:50 AM)denzjos Wrote: First flatten image and then export to PDF. On my PC this works fine.
THANKS YOU SO MUCH