Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PNG autocoloring when "opening as layer" over something
I'm not even sure how to put it, but i seem to have an issue where if i open a png "as layer" over an existing image, specifically flags, the opened layer gets colored in the colors of the base layer, i have no idea what causes this, but i tried resetting preferences to default, and even deleting and reinstalling GIMP, but nothing seems to change. If anyone could explain what this is to me that would be greatly appreciated.
Very probably the base image ( a flag) is in Color Indexed mode with a limited set of colors in the colormap.

When you first open the flag go to Image -> Mode and if it is Indexed change it to RGB.

You can also see Indexed / RGB top of the Gimp Window for the image
(01-21-2023, 09:36 AM)rich2005 Wrote: Very probably the base image ( a flag) is in Color Indexed mode with a limited set of colors in the colormap.

When you first open the flag go to Image -> Mode and if it is Indexed change it to RGB.

You can also see Indexed / RGB top of the Gimp Window for the image

Ok yeah, worked, thank you

Though it seems to reset to indexed every time now, which didnt happen before, is there a way to make RGB default or something ?
(01-21-2023, 11:35 AM)x888x Wrote: Though it seems to reset to indexed every time now, which didnt happen before, is there a way to make RGB default or something ?

No, if someone else made the image as Indexed, usually a gif but can be a png, then Gimp will open it as Indexed. Up to you to change it.

Just a note about opening as layers. The opened layer takes the properties of the base layer, Indexed / RGB / Grayscale
(01-21-2023, 11:40 AM)rich2005 Wrote:
(01-21-2023, 11:35 AM)x888x Wrote: Though it seems to reset to indexed every time now, which didnt happen before, is there a way to make RGB default or something ?  

No, if someone else made the image as Indexed, usually a gif but can be a png, then Gimp will open it as Indexed. Up to you to change it.

Just a note about opening as layers. The opened layer takes the properties of the base layer, Indexed / RGB / Grayscale
Ok, got it, thanks