Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pasted image not visible
I copied and pasted a part of an image in the same image, after extending the canvas size to accommodate the pasted part - the background of the image was made transparent. The pasted image is not visible, though the marching ants of the selection are seen. I changed the background to white, (new layer - white; and put the white layer below the existing layer, but still the pasted layer cannot be seen (not visible).

I am making some mistake but do not know it. Can someone please tell me how to make the pasted layer visible?

OS: Ubuntu 14.04; GIMP: The version available in Ubuntu Software Centre (2.8.18)

I had asked this question in another forum; so far, there is no reply.
Can you please detail exactly all the steps you are taking - and leave nothing out however trivial you might think it is Wink
(10-23-2016, 02:49 PM)Yash Pal Wrote: I copied and pasted a part of an image in the same image, after extending the canvas size to accommodate the pasted part - the background of the image was made transparent....

The problem is the layer is not resized with the canvas. You can use Layer -> Layer to Image Size

but for reference using your workflow, next time you use Image -> Canvas Size

Do not use Layers (resize layers) None

Which gives this

Use Layers (resize layers) All Layers

Which gives this if the image has transparency, otherwise you get the background color.

(10-23-2016, 02:52 PM)Kevin Wrote: Can you please detail exactly all the steps you are taking - and leave nothing out however trivial you might think it is Wink

Thanks for replying; but I think the reply below gives the diagnosis and the remedy.

Thanks Rich.

As I understand, the basic mistake was to extend the canvas and not use layer > resize layers > All Layers.

Lesson learnt.
(10-23-2016, 04:09 PM)Yash Pal Wrote:
(10-23-2016, 02:52 PM)Kevin Wrote: Can you please detail exactly all the steps you are taking - and leave nothing out however trivial you might think it is Wink

Thanks for replying; but I think the reply below gives the diagnosis and the remedy.

Thanks Rich.

As I understand, the basic mistake was to extend the canvas and not use layer > resize layers > All Layers.

Lesson learnt.

Which is a pity in one respect, because now you're going to expect rich's psychic abilities to solve your problems instead of learning to explain the problem properly. Wink
I thought the question was familiar. OP posted on gimper.net, another forum which is unattended and virtually unusable.
(10-23-2016, 04:19 PM)Kevin Wrote:
(10-23-2016, 04:09 PM)Yash Pal Wrote:

Thanks Rich.

Lesson learnt.

Which is a pity in one respect, because now you're going to expect rich's psychic abilities to solve your problems instead of learning to explain the problem properly. Wink
I hope you are off the mark. I was on 'GIMP Forums' which seems to have shut down. There were: Ofnuts, Rich 2005, Fluffy Bunny and a few others. I used to read the threads (posted by others) and have learnt a lot from the replies to the threads. I hope to learn a lot by following your replies to the threads.
Rest of the thread has been split and discussion can be continued here