Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pasting loses color
I'm trying to copy paste something but it becomes a faded version for some reason. The image has an alpha channel underneath, and I paste to a new layer after I copy it. I've tried with fuzzy select and the rectangle tool and the result happened both times. Why is this??
https://imgur.com/a/FKdHc2l
If the image is color-indexed, what is pasted is coerced into the colors in the color map. Change to RGB mode to edit the image (but the expect a "color crunch" when exporting to GIF...).
(12-05-2019, 08:11 AM)Ofnuts Wrote: If the image is color-indexed, what is pasted is coerced into the colors in the color map. Change to RGB mode to edit the image (but the expect a "color crunch" when exporting to GIF...).
I went to image>mode>RGB but it already had the dot next to it :{
(12-05-2019, 04:39 PM)marigolden Wrote:
(12-05-2019, 08:11 AM)Ofnuts Wrote: If the image is color-indexed, what is pasted is coerced into the colors in the color map. Change to RGB mode to edit the image (but the expect a "color crunch" when exporting to GIF...).
I went to image>mode>RGB but it already had the dot next to it :{

What is the layer opacity (as given by the big slider + possible layer rmask)? Any specific layer modes?
100, the mode is normal
Crop the picture to something small (100x100) and attach the XCF here?
(12-06-2019, 07:35 AM)Ofnuts Wrote: Crop the picture to something small (100x100) and attach the XCF here?

Here you goSmile I didn't realize canvas size had to do with it uploading or not, good to know

Attached Files
.xcf   gimpcloud.xcf (Size: 119.39 KB / Downloads: 151)
Everything dark grey in that image has a slight transparency to it.
Colour to alpha accident perhaps ?
(12-07-2019, 05:03 PM)Espermaschine Wrote: Everything dark grey in that image has a slight transparency to it.
Colour to alpha accident perhaps ?

Yes... Looking at the image in the OP and the attached, it seems Marigolden tries to copy-paste the "mouth" from the attached XCF to another image with a white backrgound. In the attached image that mouth is partially transparent so when pasted over white it gives gray.

Marigolden, here is your image over a "hi-vis" pattern, it is obvious that there are opacity issues. And there is also a blueish halo...

To add to what Esper said.

Your black is not black - it is dark gray with some transparency. Put a white background below your image and it is immediately obvious.

Use the pointer tool on your "black" and you get values like (RGBA) 28 26 27 208.
Black should be (RGBA) 0 0 0 255.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)