Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pattern fill not working the same as it used to
I used this pattern [Image: 3nry.png] to fill in a 1, when I first did it it looked like this [Image: 3nrz.jpg] but now when I do it it looks like this [Image: 3ns0.jpg] This happened without me changing any setttings or restarting GIMP or anything
The pattern is not seamless for starters.
Or at least the image you posted...

How did you apply it ?
Alpha select the number and bucket fill ?

Is it a pattern you copied to the clipboard or a Gimp Pattern ?
The origin of the pattern depends on selection (or layer if there is no selection). Is the selection the same in both cases?
Both times I applied it by selecting by color the number and using bucket fill with the text layer selected
(07-01-2018, 08:45 AM)wiiztec Wrote: Both times I applied it by selecting by color the number and using bucket fill with the text layer selected

It is what Ofnuts says, If the origin is the layer and the selection falls on a boundary (shown by the grid) you get the join. That png not really suitable for making a seamless pattern.

[Image: C2Wmk5e.jpg]

Just a question. Are you really using Windows XP?
(07-01-2018, 08:45 AM)wiiztec Wrote: Both times I applied it by selecting by color the number and using bucket fill with the text layer selected

If you select by color, you select all pixels with a similar color. Most may be in your 1 but you can also have isolated pixels in your image that create minute islands of selection. When Gimp does a pattern fill  the top left corner of the first pattern is aligned on the top left corner of the selection "bounding box" (ie, the smallest rectangle that includes all of it) so depending on where these extra selected pixels are, the bounding box changes, and so does the pattern alignment.  And if each time you click on  a different pixel to create the selection, the pixel can have a slighly different color leading to different extra pixels being selected, and to a different bounding box.

So, the solution would be to use the magic wand, because the selection would be restricted to the 1 and the pattern alignment wouldn't change.

But if you character is on  transparent background, don't make a selection, just set the alpha-lock on the layer and bucket fill. The pattern will be aligned with the top left corner or the layer (and the alpha lock will make it appear only on non-transparent pixels)(you will also keep the smooth edges that way).
Try this fill pattern. It should work better.

Attached Files Image(s)

(07-01-2018, 11:12 AM)Blighty Wrote: Try this fill pattern. It should work better.

Thanks that solved the vertical seam problem and I was able to solve the vertical alignment by adjusting the line spacing of the text layer. Still confused on why the way it filled suddenly changed, I swear the only difference between the first and second images was time
This pattern is pixelated and laughably small...just saying.

If you want to apply a metal look to text, search for a texture.
Just type "free + texture + metal" in your favorite searchengine and you should be able to find high quality images of metal textures.
Import this image into your projectfile as a new layer, resize and position as required, then alpha select the text, invert and cut (or apply layermask).

The highlighting can be achieved with a gradient overlay and a suitable layermode.