Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pen Tablet and general movement not reliable
There are quite a few details as to how GIMP is behaving on my computer, so skip to the TL:DR if you want a summary.

I'm currently using GIMP 2.8.22 on a windows 8.1 64-bit installation on my laptop with a Turcom 8" x 6" tablet connected. The primary issue is with drawing; I cannot draw in GIMP with the pen tablet. I can draw with the mouse, but when I put the pen on the tablet, I can only place a dot. Moving the pen around still moves around the cursor, but it doesn't actually draw. If I drag the cursor to one of the toolbox areas of the screen while holding the tablet down (like drawing), it draws a straight line from where I started to where the cursor ended on the toolbox section (I use single window mode). It seems to pick up on the pressure with which I jab the tablet with (I can place light or dark dots), but obviously I want to do more than just place dots. I have already gone into the input configuration windows and set the tablet to use the "screen" and all of the features of the pen are configured in the driver. The pen works in the other software I use, but not in GIMP. I tried GIMP 2.6.8, and it just worked right after installation; I didn't need to change anything. Am I missing something?

As for the movement issues, it seems that nearly every movement command that is issued by not directly clicking on the scroll bar (Middle click to pan, scroll wheel, and zooming with ctrl) do not work until some amount of time has passed with the drawing window being active (about 5 seconds?) or until one of the scroll bars has been clicked. Because middle clicking is the only way I would move around when using the pen tablet, this is a must-have feature that needs to work reliably.

I feel like both of these issues are being caused by some weird active window shenanigans, but that's about as much as I can think of. It just doesn't work.

GIMP version: 2.8.22
Operating system: Windows 8.1 64-bit
Pen Tablet: Turcom TS-6608N
Computer: Lenovo Y500 Laptop

TL;DR: I have set up the drawing tablet to work in GIMP, but it only places dots and cannot make strokes. The mouse can. In addition, the keyboard and mouse driven movement controls (pan, scroll, zoom) don't work until I have physically clicked on the scroll bar.
Quote:... I tried GIMP 2.6.8, and it just worked right after installation; I didn't need to change anything. Am I missing something?..

No, Generally recognised that tablet support in Gimp 2.6 is better than in Gimp 2.8 The developers are aware of this and hope to improve the situation in Gimp 2.10, when it comes.

Gimp is developed in Linux, see any linux drivers for that tablet? No - neither did I

If you get it working well in Gimp 2.6 stick with it, you can have both 2.8 & 2.6 installed in Windows.

Things to try. The usual,
Check for updated drivers, (probably waste of time https://turcomusa.com/turcom-drivers/ are 2014)
Rename your Gimp 2.8 profile, restart Gimp to create a new default profile. Set up the input devices again.

Long shot - Try the Gimp 2.9.6 development version from http://www.partha.com there might be an improvement.

Note for anyone reading this:
When I looked at the Win8 Turcom tablet driver setup in a Windows VM it is labelled Huion so if you use this type of tablet please provide your experiences.
Thanks for the advice. The only reason I don't want to go back to the older version is the interface; single window mode works so much better when multiple monitors are used. 

I may have missed something in that older version for a single-window mode, but if it's available, I'll probably just switch over to the older version if the newest unstable version doesn't work. 

Also, the strange thing is that the tablet worked fine with gimp 2.8 when I first got the tablet a couple weeks ago. No clue why it stopped.

Also, I think that the movement issues were still there in 2.6. I'll have to double check that, though.
(11-13-2017, 04:43 PM)Lazerlord Wrote: ...snip...
Also, the strange thing is that the tablet worked fine with gimp 2.8 when I first got the tablet a couple weeks ago. No clue why it stopped.

Then I would definitely try renaming your gimp profile say, C:\users\your-name\.gimp-2.8 to C:\users\your-name\.gimp-2.8-bak
and re-install the driver.

And see what happens.
(11-13-2017, 04:46 PM)rich2005 Wrote:
(11-13-2017, 04:43 PM)Lazerlord Wrote: ...snip...

Then I would definitely try renaming your gimp profile say, C:\users\your-name\.gimp-2.8 to C:\users\your-name\.gimp-2.8-bak
and re-install the driver.

And see what happens.

Tried that and it worked initially (without pressure sensitivity) even though the input device was set to "disabled" by default. After setting it to "screen", it stopped working again, and now it doesn't work even if it is set to be disabled. This is very bizarre. Apparently there are lots of problems with this tablet in particular with GIMP, so maybe I'll take a look over here and see what works. http://gimpforums.com/thread-gimp-not-wo...ing-tablet

One interesting thing I noticed, however. If I only use the tablet after starting up GIMP and make a new image to draw on, and if I immediately select the paint brush, I can paint. But if I select the pencil and try to make strokes with it, as soon as I click down the pen, the icon on the mouse flashes to the paintbrush instead of the pencil for one frame, and occasionally I can see the tool properties for the paintbrush flash quickly in the tool properties window. It's very strange.