Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pencil size 2 is the same as pencil size 3?
So I'm trying to make my own Minecraft resource pack using GIMP, and while i'm trying to use a size 2 pencil, i noticed that it's the same as a size 3, does anyone have a fix?

[Image: gimp%20pencil%20bug%201stpic.png]

[Image: gimp%20pencil%20bug%202ndpic.png]
(07-10-2022, 01:13 PM)AlphaNumericWHaT Wrote: So I'm trying to make my own Minecraft resource pack using GIMP, and while i'm trying to use a size 2 pencil, i noticed that it's the same as a size 3, does anyone have a fix?

Use the "Pixel (1x1 square)" brush (some way down the brushes) - this will give a solid 2x2 brush. (The "1. Pixel" brush is odd you can't have 2x2 or 4x4 and possibly other sizes)
(07-10-2022, 02:01 PM)programmer_ceds Wrote:
(07-10-2022, 01:13 PM)AlphaNumericWHaT Wrote: So I'm trying to make my own Minecraft resource pack using GIMP, and while i'm trying to use a size 2 pencil, i noticed that it's the same as a size 3, does anyone have a fix?

Use the "Pixel (1x1 square)" brush (some way down the brushes) - this will give a solid 2x2 brush. (The "1. Pixel" brush is odd you can't have 2x2 or 4x4 and possibly other sizes)

The same brush with the same settings behaves differently depending on which point on the screen (x,y) it touches.

In the image below enlarged with 2656%, all three points were made with the same brush (several clicks on the same point to reinforce the result).

Samj PortableGimp 2.10.28 - Win-10 /64.
(07-10-2022, 02:35 PM)Krikor Wrote: The same brush with the same settings behaves differently depending on which point on the screen (x,y) it touches.

In the image below enlarged with 2656%, all three points were made with the same brush (several clicks on the same point to reinforce the result).

But the OP wanted a 2x2 brush and I can't get the "1. Pixel" brush to show an outline of anything other than 3x3 when the size is set to 2 - regardless of where the cursor is. Of course they could use the "1. Pixel" brush set to a size of 1 and click 4 times to get a 2x2 but it would be easier to use the other brush :-)
use the rectangle select tool (no feather, no round corner, nothing BUT just the anti-aliasing selected), make a square of 2 pixels, fill with your favorite color, then do a [Ctrl+C] or go to menu Edit > Copy (this will put that 2pixels image in the Clipboard), now you can do Select ➤ None

Then select the pencil and in the Tool Options, click to select a brush and go up in the brushes' dropdown menu and select the very first brush at the top called Clipboard image (this brush is so little that you might see only a white square, just click on it)

Now you have your 2 pixels brush

(07-10-2022, 03:39 PM)programmer_ceds Wrote:
(07-10-2022, 02:35 PM)Krikor Wrote: The same brush with the same settings behaves differently depending on which point on the screen (x,y) it touches.

But the OP wanted a 2x2 brush and I can't get the "1. Pixel" brush to show an outline of anything other than 3x3 when the size is set to 2 - regardless of where the cursor is. Of course they could use the "1. Pixel" brush set to a size of 1 and click 4 times to get a 2x2 but it would be easier to use the other brush :-)

Got it, you're absolutely right!

Attached, I provide a brush that can produce both 1x1 and 2x2 results, etc.

.gbr   Pixe-10x10.gbr (Size: 140 bytes / Downloads: 89)
@Krikor @PixLab the "Pixel (1x1 square)" brush set to size 2 does exactly what the OP requires with less effort than downloading a new brush or loading the clipboard (unless you don't want all 4 pixels the same colour).
You should note that it is the difference between a parametric (a vector) .vbr brush and a bitmap .gbr brush.  

In the default Gimp brushes folder. 
1-pixel.vbr and pixel.gbr  

No real need to make your own .gbr brush(s), although it can be convenient. That was the way with old versions of Gimp.
(07-10-2022, 05:42 PM)programmer_ceds Wrote: @Krikor @PixLab the "Pixel (1x1 square)"  brush set to size 2 does exactly what the OP requires with less effort than downloading a new brush or loading the clipboard (unless you don't want all 4 pixels the same colour).

At first I didn't know if I had this brush (Pixel (1x1 square)) or if the OP would have it too. But then I noticed a little while ago that this brush is native to Gimp.  Rolleyes
(07-10-2022, 05:42 PM)programmer_ceds Wrote: @Krikor @PixLab the "Pixel (1x1 square)"  brush set to size 2 does exactly what the OP requires with less effort than downloading a new brush or loading the clipboard (unless you don't want all 4 pixels the same colour).

I did not catch that "pixel" and "1.pixel" were 2 different brushes (thanks to the rich2005's screenshot), I thought you were speaking about the same brush, which now explain why the comments seemed to be contradictory to me.
Did I said I can be slow? Big Grin
At least now if the OP come back s/he will know how to do a brush on the fly Smile