Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Placement of Add On Manager folders
Is it possible to move all of the Add On Manager folders out of the user profile and Gimp itself?  I would like to have it outside of the GIMP program as I find it time consuming to reorganize every time we have a version update of Gimp.

If this is possible, how do I set it up so the folders can be found by the program. Do I make any changes in the main Edit/Preferences/folders menu or leave it alone?

Thank you in advance for letting me know what is possible and how to do it.

Windows 10, 64 bit    Gimp 2.10.6  Samj version
It is possible, using the addonCollectionManager.ini file

At the start of the file replace addons_stored:{GimpUser}/ {type..... with the path to your folders

(I use a slightly different naming convention for _alt - read _storage)

Code:
[all]
# enable:brushes dynamics fonts gradients palettes patterns scripts
enable:brushes fonts patterns scripts
addons_active:{GimpUser}/{type}
addons_stored:C:\Users\rich\gimpfiles\{type}_alt
menu_location:{<type>}
menu_entry:{type} sets...
menu_description:Manage {type} sets...
dialog_title:{type} sets manager

This in a Win10 64 bit VM with Samjs portable Gimp 2.10.6

[Image: NugYG3l.jpg]

However, could I suggest an alternative, since I recall previous issues using that ini file.

The equivalent in Samj's portable to the Gimp profile is that Preferences folder. Whatever version of Gimp you use that is one folder you should backup. Remember to keep the backup up to date.

Move to new version of Samj's Gimp, replace the existing (default) Preference with your backup.
(09-21-2018, 09:24 AM)rich2005 Wrote: It is possible, using the addonCollectionManager.ini file

At the start of the file replace addons_stored:{GimpUser}/ {type..... with the path to your folders

(I use a slightly different naming convention for _alt - read _storage)

Code:
[all]
# enable:brushes dynamics fonts gradients palettes patterns scripts
enable:brushes fonts patterns scripts
addons_active:{GimpUser}/{type}
addons_stored:C:\Users\rich\gimpfiles\{type}_alt
menu_location:{<type>}
menu_entry:{type} sets...
menu_description:Manage {type} sets...
dialog_title:{type} sets manager

This in a Win10 64 bit VM with Samjs portable Gimp 2.10.6

[Image: NugYG3l.jpg]

However, could I suggest an alternative, since I recall previous issues using that ini file.

The equivalent in Samj's portable to the Gimp profile is that Preferences folder. Whatever version of Gimp you use that is one folder you should backup. Remember to keep the backup up to date.

Move to new version of Samj's Gimp, replace the existing (default) Preference with your backup.

Thank you very much, Rich for your reply and knowledge of the subject.  I'll see what works the best.