Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Plugin registry installation problem
I just upgraded to GIMP 2.10 from 2.8 on my Linux Mint 18 system. However, when I try to re-install the GIMP Plugin Registry, I get dependency errors for various packages which Synaptic has earlier versions of, which clearly don't work with the 2.10 version.

Has anyone else encountered this problem and, if so, is there a solution?
How did you upgrade Gimp itself? Gimp 2.10 requires a very recent distro to run "native" (ie, installed from the repos). AFAIL Mint18 is based on Ubuntu 16.04 so you must be using either the flatpak version or an AppImage. This requires many plugins to be also installed via flatpak/AppImage, but that requires someone to make a flatpak/AppImage version.
The best way is not to install it, unpack the .deb and add scripts and plugins, to your Gimp profile, one-by-one checking as you go.

You can get the deb package from:

https://launchpad.net/~otto-kesselgulasc..._amd64.deb

This note is posted
Quote:gimp-plugin-registry (7.20170217-0x8~ppa) xenial; urgency=high

* Kick off some plugins, sorry for that. ?
- refocus, focus-blur are not build-able against libgimp2.0-dev version 2.9.5
- wavelet-decompose is part of gimp-2.9.x now
- save-for-web crashes

Really it is a bit of a mess, it install some python files into scripts folder, then the scripts are ancient, no guarantee of working.

If you have problems unpacking a .deb, I can post the files for you.

-----
Off topic but a ray of hope for 'buntu 16 (xenial) / mint 18 users

Quote:At the moment there are no Xenial updates due to inextricably Glib dependencies. I will find a solution.

I hope sooner rather than later.

As Ofnuts said, at the moment it is either the Gimp 2.10 flatpak or a appimage.
(05-08-2018, 10:27 AM)Ofnuts Wrote: How did you upgrade Gimp itself? Gimp 2.10 requires a very recent distro to run "native" (ie, installed from the repos). AFAIL Mint18 is based on Ubuntu 16.04 so you must be using either the flatpak version or an AppImage. This requires many plugins to be also installed via flatpak/AppImage, but that requires someone to make a flatpak/AppImage version.

It was a flatpack installation, the first I've tried.

Looks like I'll either have to revert to 2.8, or try the manual installation of the scripts one at a time. I'll try one or two and see how it goes.
The scripts (Scheme and Python) are not a problem, even if you can make your life easier by putting them in easily accessed directories (neither the flatpak nor the Gimp profile for the flatpak), and go to Edit>Preferences>Folders to add these directories to Gimp's.

Binaries are more likely to be a problem, and some of them may require to have a flatpak version. It seems (not tried yet) that you can cherry pick-binaries provided on the gimp-edge PPA for 2.9.5.
No reason why you can not have the regular Gimp 2.8.22 from the ppa alongside the Gimp 2.10.0 flatpak but to add the gimp-plugin-registry files to the flatpak something like this:

Add folders to your home directory, I made two ~/reg_plugin and ~/reg_script
Now add those to the Gimp 2.10 folder path(s) this example for the scripts

[Image: lJv0q2y.jpg]

Add the files from the .deb package to those folders, remember to make the plugins executable. This the two folders side-by-side. I still think this is a crazy package 165 ancient scripts, plugins that will never be used...However up to you.

[Image: xWQZccT.jpg]

Some will work, resynthesizer/heal-selection for example, some need additional linux library files, liquid rescale does, some will never work, separate+. Scripts being so old are more likely to fail, some work, some throw up errors. 160-ish, I will let someone else try them out Wink

[Image: fS7Hgtf.jpg]