Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Print image scan larger than actual size
I scanned an insurance card and want to print it larger than it's actual size so the picture is easier to read.

I tried scanning to high dpi with no luck.

Is there a way to do that?

You can scale an image to be larger in gimp but it may not be easier to read.... If you only do it a small amount it may be ok

ps. post your card and block out the numbers?/ID so we can have a go and tell you if it can be done or not

Smile
You should use the higher DPI scan for scaling up because it may be of better quality.
Scan it it higher DPI than your target printer (for instance 600DPI if you target printer is 300DPI)

In Gimp (or in another capable image editor) just change the print definition to 300DPI to double the physical print size (thisis in Image ➤ Print size in Gimp.

See this for the explanation of the magic.

This said, a much simpler approach:
  • Start a document in your usual word processor (MS Office, Libre Office)
  • Import your image  int the page
  • Resize your image by dragging the image edges
  • Print the page
ninja'd by ofnuts but some screenshots that might help.
------------------------------------
Too many screenshots so follow the links.

It depends how you scan the card. This is using Xsane and a defined area. You might be scanning into a full sheet size (A4 / letter) 300 ppi is considered print quality. If it is a small card consider a larger ppi, maybe 600

https://i.imgur.com/oVHzySt.jpg

You might have scanned and left a margin around the card, if you have, then crop down to the neat size.

https://i.imgur.com/HaIuaAQ.jpg

Then use Image -> Print Size, guessing you want inches so change units if required. In the dialog you can change either the size or the resolution. In this I change the resolution from 300 -> 200 giving a increased size ( but lower quality)

https://i.imgur.com/qdFTBqL.jpg

If you are going to print in some other application then export that image as a jpeg. Other wise in Gimp File -> Print you get something like this. Printing on US letter size paper, the size should be the same as in the Print Size setting.

https://i.imgur.com/dgqMMWF.jpg

That is using Gimp for printing. You might be better off using LibreOffice (LO). Use the jpeg exported from Gimp. LO will scale using click-drag to any size you want, bearing in mind print quality if scaled up too much.
(11-17-2022, 09:01 AM)Ofnuts Wrote: Scan it it higher DPI than your target printer (for instance 600DPI if you target printer is 300DPI)

In Gimp (or in another capable image editor) just change the print definition to 300DPI to double the physical print size (thisis in Image ➤ Print size in Gimp.

See this for the explanation of the magic.

This said, a much simpler approach:
  • Start a document in your usual word processor (MS Office, Libre Office)
  • Import your image  int the page
  • Resize your image by dragging the image edges
  • Print the page

I tried your simpler approach.

I used a scan done at 600 dpi and imported image into a .odt document.

The printed image turned out around twice the size of the actual card that was scanned.

Thanks.
I was recently trying to extract a map from a 200+ page .PDF  report produced by our local government.  It was a mandatory disclosure issue imposed upon them by the Federal government, so there likely was not a great concern on their part for user friendliness...they were merely complying.

Anyway, the inline maps were hopelessly undersized, trying to read the legends printed on them appeared impossible. Tried several things,  including the PDF viewer's native scale function , all with  no luck.

Then, I just tried to import a map directly into Gimp, and got the following import dialog that included an adjustable resolution setting.  So, I scaled it up, and to my complete surprise, the maps appeared crystal clear at the larger size. Fully readable.

Not sure why this one method produced where all other attempts failed, but I'd guess there is a  "print to file" instruction somewhere in the process. 

[Image: rIDUKFd.png]