Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Printing in Black and White
I know this has probably an obvious solution, but I couldn't find one.
Searching about it didn't help, as the key words appear in many other topics, so I decided to create an account and start by asking about it.

I am using Windows 7, Gimp 2.10.14 and a HP LaserJet 100 color MFP M175nw printer.

The printer is configured to always print in black and white, but whenever I print from Gimp it prints in colour, even when the image is in greyscale.

What am I missing?

I also noticed that the "Image Settings" section of the "Print..." menu doesn't show all the available options, as I can see that there's a radio button option just visible above the bottom of window.

Thanks in advance. Smile
First the easy one

Quote:...I also noticed that the "Image Settings" section of the "Print..." menu doesn't show all the available options, as I can see that there's a radio button option just visible above the bottom of window.

Caused by the crap black/grey themes. It is a tick box for 'Ignore Print Margins' Change the Gimp theme to System to see it.

Quote:..The printer is configured to always print in black and white,..

Do you really mean greyscale ? Black and White is a one bit image on or off.  I once had a Canon inkjet that refused to use the black cartridge, mixed black from C-M-Y colors which in theory is black but comes out dark brown.

No solution, try printing from some other application, Windows Gimp print.exe plugin is old and  not too good.
One other possibility. Image -> Mode -> Indexed and convert to 1 bit with dithering. Might work.

(09-16-2020, 02:08 PM)rich2005 Wrote: Caused by the crap black/grey themes. It is a tick box for 'Ignore Print Margins' Change the Gimp theme to System to see it.
Thanks, that worked. 

Quote:Do you really mean greyscale ? Black and White is a one bit image on or off.  I once had a Canon inkjet that refused to use the black cartridge, mixed black from C-M-Y colors which in theory is black but comes out dark brown.
You're right, the printer has an option for "Printing in grayscale", and that option is selected by default.

Quote:No solution, try printing from some other application, Windows Gimp print.exe plugin is old and  not too good.
OK, I'll do that, all other applications work as expected.

PS: Just curious, does anyone have any idea why this area has been neglected?
Quote:..PS: Just curious, does anyone have any idea why this area has been neglected?..

You mean the Windows print.exe plugin? Gimp is developed in linux by volunteers. Generally printing in linux (using CUPS) works. Unfortunately when it comes to porting Gimp to Windows there is no volunteer to improve the Gimp printing plugin.