Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Python2 Gimp AppImages for Ubuntu Jammy and Focal
By reading your comment about Ubuntu 22.04,
- from what I see with 22.04 that is even more of a PITA.
- Ubuntu has become a mid-level OS with Xubuntu, Mate, Mint etc using it's repos. Maybe I should be using Debian
- I was considering upgrading to 22.04 The more I see of it, I think I might just leave to for another year or so... beginning to hate ubuntu

Yeah... Asking myself the same questions (still on Ubuntu-MATE 20.04 as the software updater will propose the upgrade around August or September)

Anyway, for what is worth... just my 2 cents.
it's been 2 years (may be more) that my kids' computers are on MX Linux (before they were like me on Ubuntu-MATE), I like this MX distro, A LOT, and slowly preparing my transition from Ubuntu-MATE to MX Linux.
I said slowly, I'm a "long" exclusive user of Ubuntu-MATE, from 16.04 to nowadays (20.04) Upgrading around August every 2 years, never formatted my drive, so there are a lot of things on it.... and it's still hyper stable and fast.
Again, yeah I said slowly, just thinking of the next 2-3 days after installing MX, downloading/installing all the software, configuring them, setting things up to my own taste and so on and on, made me already tired Big Grin

What I like on MX Linux ➤ no snaps, also you're not forced to use the huge flatpak as there is also the "popular repo / stable repo / MX test repo / Debian backport" tabs in the MX package installer or even directly on the debian website, you can import a PPA similarly as Ubuntu (the code to copy and paste in terminal is just a bit longer Big Grin ). and you can have the MATE desktop as well in just one click (even more choices of DE, log out ➤ chose your DE ➤ log in, that's so cool), anyway now seeing and "practicing" Xfce for more than 2 years with my kids, I really like it Big Grin
In all case what is so cool with Linux, you don't like one distro... +hundred are waiting you Big Grin
Quote:your appimage to easily add python support is a great addition and much appreciated.
Thanks Rich. It fills a niche and doesn't re-invent the wheel Smile

Good to read your comment PixLab. I've been using Linux for over 20 years and have been fascinated by Unix for longer. I see Unix as a house with many rooms and you have access to all of them.

I usually put my home folder on a separate partition (/home/user). Then if I reformat or change operating systems I still have what I was working on. I stick to Long Term Support and pass anything that is under development. The Ubuntu LTS upgrade process is usually flawless but I wish Ubuntu would not change the name of library files. (every Linux OS personalizes something Smile
It's amazing how you can move a Linux hard drive to another computer and just carry on using it. This 'dual-boot' has 2 hdd's and I swap the sata cables

I installed Firefox from a deb file and by-passed snap on this jammy box. Loads much faster.
I have added a bit of information here on running the appimage in new install Ubuntu 22.04

https://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-Ubuntu...on-support
I know it's for *buntu 20-22, but just to let you know, on MX Linux 21.1, it launches GIMP from the distro, but no python nor mathmap in the menu.
(06-09-2022, 02:30 AM)PixLab Wrote: I know it's for *buntu 20-22, but just to let you know, on MX Linux 21.1, it launches GIMP from the distro, but no python nor mathmap in the menu.

You do need to install python 2.7 for python support (a python2-minimal not enough) 

For mathmap, probably libfftw3 missing or an incompatible version. Run in a terminal and look at error messages.
or
Code:
apt install fftw3

Often these are already there from an upgrade rather than a new installation and missing. You need to check.
(06-09-2022, 07:05 AM)rich2005 Wrote:
(06-09-2022, 02:30 AM)PixLab Wrote: I know it's for *buntu 20-22, but just to let you know, on MX Linux 21.1, it launches GIMP from the distro, but no python nor mathmap in the menu.

You do need to install python 2.7 for python support (a python2-minimal not enough) 

For mathmap, probably libfftw3 missing or an incompatible version. Run in a terminal and look at error messages.
or
Code:
apt install fftw3

Often these are already there from an upgrade rather than a new installation and missing. You need to check.

Thanks Rich, python 2.7 is there now, I got python console heal selection and so, all good. Wink
Just mathmap is still not there after installing fftw3, I'm ok with not having mathmap, though, I would like to understand  Big Grin

Then I did

Probably a version incompatibility with debian packages. Tas_mania has included libfftw3.so.3 in the appimage see: post#2 In 'buntu that comes from the libfftw3-double3 package.

Could be worse, trying out the Mint-Debian-Edition (a VM). Permission issues, nothing mounts so no python / no mathmap. Strangely the old Gimp 2.10.22 appimage still works and has python support.

Getting old stuff to work is becoming a pita, I have this kubuntu 20.04 largely sorted now, but still get caught out Wink Some old JAVA graphics programs, pulled out of archive yesterday. Not working until I installed an old version of JAVA. more duplication / bloat, such is life.
I don't have an MX Linux system right now. You can open an appimage from a terminal like this:
./gimp-python2-mm-22.04jammy-x86_64.AppImage
Check the terminal for errors.
Gimps runs a 'wire read' on plugins before it launches so look for any python or MathMap wire read errors. I'm pretty sure the fast fourier transforms (fftw3) are libs used by other programs.

Adding anything missing is easy. These appimages mirror the linux filesystem and are essentially a virtual OS running in the current system.
This is what I was referring to earlier:

Mint DE5  (debian bullseye) What do you make of this. File has all permissions. The same if I run as root. 
I wonder if it needs a .policy file ?
(06-11-2022, 07:27 AM)rich2005 Wrote: Mint DE5  (debian bullseye) What do you make of this. File has all permissions. The same if I run as root. 
I wonder if it needs a .policy file ?

Hi Rich, interesting question. The appimages I make come from official Ubuntu releases, archives like this one.
The MathMap-Python2 appimages started as a MathMap deb file I compiled. I listed Gimp as a dependency and was surprised to find the appimage called gimp rather than including it in the appimage.

So MathMap is just a payload to start the installed Gimp. Then I added the python2 files and that worked on Ubuntu. I didn't think it would work on other distros.

This is a full appimage of Firefox.  This could be tested on other distros.
I made it to bypass the Snaps thing. It could work on Mint and MXLinux in which case the Ubuntu Gimp-Python appimages could also work if I included Gimp and python2.

I don't have the scripting skill of Afferero and I think something simpler is needed.