Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Python2 Gimp AppImages for Ubuntu Jammy and Focal
It is not working anymore (I don't know what I did Blush )

Yeah, already mentioned in post #19

Some extensive searching and the mount problem has come up in other non-gimp contexts. Tried adding some rules in polkit-1 that should have allowed everything to mount-by-user. So far no success.

Back to: Want python support. The old Gimp 2.10.22 appimage-with-plugins works or (I suppose) a flatpak.
Have a look at what Debian versions still contain python2?
I don't know where MXLinux fits into that mess.
I downloaded GIMP appimage 2.10.25 from aferrero https://github.com/aferrero2707/gimp-app...continuous , that 'a OK and I have the 2.10.28 from MX repository, I'm ok with that, if I need python I 'll use the appimage from aferrero, I don't bother to save a xcf, then open it with aferrero appimage if some python scripts are needed
Anyway, thanks a lot guys Wink

(06-14-2022, 09:02 AM)Tas_mania Wrote: Have a look at what Debian versions still contain python2?
I don't know where MXLinux fits into that mess.

I's still there (sudo apt install python2 MX Linux 21.1), but it's gimp-python... the problem?, apt don't know it

I've researched why these appimages only work on Ubuntu.
They use an overlay filesystem that is supported by the kernel in Ubuntu but not in other Linux distros.
That's what causes the permission errors.

To use on other distros they have to be modified to use fuse-overlayfs. These Gimp appimage can work on MX Linux but much slower than my Xubuntu. So far no python2 which is why I made them to start with.
Your appimages are still a good easy python fix for ubuntu based distros.
I figured-out how to make the AppImages work on non-Ubuntu systems. I used MX Linux.

The AppImages use an 'overlay filesystem' supported by the kernel in Ubuntu. On distros like MX Linux a fuse-overlayfs is used. This must be added with 'sudo apt install fuse-overlayfs'
They are HERE.

So there is one dependency but still simple to test and use.

gimp-python2-fuse-overlay-launcher-mx-linux21-1.Appimage

gimp-python2-overlay-launcher-ubuntu22.04.AppImage

These two appimages are identical except one uses overlay and the other fuse-overlay. I have made 'full' appimages that contain a complete Gimp but not ready to upload them yet.
[url=https://github.com/TasMania17/Gimp-Appimages-Made-From-Debs/releases/tag/Gimp-Python2-AppImage-Launchers-for-Linux][/url]
Spreading the net a little wider Wink Zorin is a nice little linux aimed at beginners. It is based on Ubuntu 20.04 but there are enough differences that the older 'python' appimages do not work.

Tried the new ones and success, last in the list gimp-python2-overlay-launcher-ubuntu22.04.AppImage works

looks like this: https://i.imgur.com/2GXVgRZ.jpg
(06-25-2022, 09:32 AM)Tas_mania Wrote: I figured-out how to make the AppImages work on non-Ubuntu systems. I used MX Linux.

The AppImages use an 'overlay filesystem' supported by the kernel in Ubuntu. On distros like MX Linux a fuse-overlayfs is used. This must be added with 'sudo apt install fuse-overlayfs'
They are HERE.

So there is one dependency but still simple to test and use.

gimp-python2-fuse-overlay-launcher-mx-linux21-1.Appimage

gimp-python2-overlay-launcher-ubuntu22.04.AppImage

These two appimages are identical except one uses overlay and the other fuse-overlay. I have made 'full' appimages that contain a complete Gimp but not ready to upload them yet.
[url=https://github.com/TasMania17/Gimp-Appimages-Made-From-Debs/releases/tag/Gimp-Python2-AppImage-Launchers-for-Linux][/url]

YEEESS! 'sudo apt install fuse-overlayfs'  then gimp-python2-fuse-overlay-launcher-mx-linux21-1.Appimage works like a charm, thank you very much @Tas_mania

Thanks for the encouragement Rich and PixLab - you guys got me motivated.

Any issues let me know, often missing libs but they are usually easy to include and repack.

Cheers Smile