Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Recognition of Stylus/Pen S-pen
Hey I'm Kate and I am new here,

I have been using gimp for a while.  I was excited when I got my new Samsung Notebook 9 Pro which has been recommended by several artists that I would get pen support for tilt and pressure.  Apparently the guy that reviewed it got support for several of his old WACOM pens without changing anything (here is the review  http://surfaceproartist.com/blog/2017/8/...-contender ) I am using the stylus which comes with it which is basically a mini S-pen. At first no apps recognized the pen & after a couple days of reading & back and forth with Samsung techs I discovered I needed to install the WinTab Driver.  So that solved my problem in Expresii which now gets both tilt and pressure data but gimp still doesn't even recognize my pen.  I have considered just getting a new pen which might solve my problem.  Would love to here about any experiences anyone might have with that.

I have read everything I can and have gone into the configure extended input devices but I just see the core pointer.  Do I need a separate Wacom driver?

From what I have read this is a pretty common problem so I am not terribly surprised, a bit disapointed though.  Anyway I am willing to put some time & effort into trying to get this to work.  I have a bit of programming experience & am a quick learner.  From what I have read this has something to do with the GTK which I assume is part of the communication system between the computer and the program.  I need someone to point me in the right direction though.  What should I read and what exactly is the problem?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions and help.

Kate
GTK (GTK2, to be accurate) is the graphics UI library that Gimp uses to get the events from pointing devices (and also to display things). GTK was initially written to work on Unix, above an X Window system. The port to Windows may have a few gaps. Unfortunately most GTK developers don't use Windows. Furthermore Gimp's roadmap says that Gimp will be converted to use GTK3, where most of these problems are already fixed, so there isn't much incentive to fix them in the current version.
(03-14-2018, 09:57 PM)Ofnuts Wrote: GTK (GTK2, to be accurate) is the graphics UI library that Gimp uses to get the events from pointing devices (and also to display things). GTK was initially written to work on Unix, above an X Window system. The port to Windows may have a few gaps. Unfortunately most GTK developers don't use Windows. Furthermore Gimp's roadmap says that Gimp will be converted to use GTK3, where most of these problems are already fixed, so there isn't much incentive to fix them in the current version.

Thanks Ofnuts,

So I know there is supposed to be a new version of GIMP coming out, right?  So you are saying that GTK3 will be used in that version?  I may be up for helping a bit though it would be a steep learning curve for sure.  Not sure you need a newbie.

Thanks again,

Kate
Well there are two versions coming out. First one is Gimp 2.10 (the development version that you can try is 2.9.x). Its major feature is the addition of high-bit-depth (images are no longer limited to 8bits/channel). The next one (some years away) is Gimp 3.0 with a revamped UI based on GTK3.

Nobody here is really a Gimp developer. The real ones are on the gimp-developer mailing list and on IRC.