Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Remove watermark
That is why they add watermarks like that. To make it difficult to remove. It is text in shape but it is a graphic overlay, very close to the background to defeat the select tools. It might be possible if you could find the font to overlay a Gimp text layer and use that for the selection. More trouble than its worth.
Make a watermark selection with the 'Fuzzy Select Tool'
Copy this selection to a new layer
Set the layer mode on this new layer on 'Multiply'
Make a layer with 'New from Visible'
Use the Healing tool to remove the contours
If needed, paste the selection layer on the 'New from Visible' layer to adjust the dark area (layer mode 'Multiply')

remove dark area :

That is a very different watermark from the one under discussion
@rich, missed that and yes, using clone and heal tool is mostly the best way to remove unwanted things from a photo.
(07-09-2021, 08:10 AM)meetdilip Wrote: Got it Smile

Looks nice.

I wonder why the wand select tool does not detect watermarks. They are literally text.

What makes you think the wand tool recognizes text as such?
A suggestion, with resynth_along_path.scm http://www.silent9.com/blog/archives/172...p-2.8.html
It something to remove power wires in photos (I don't use it, but did tried it, though, it allows to "Resynth" on few pixels wide along a path)

I would make a path on the "white" edges of the watermark (the one from your post #8)
once it's done I use the path with that script, then select the text from path, and work on each letter independently > inside would do a bit like the guy on the PS tuto about removing shadows from face

But I can't agree more with rich2005 > "More trouble than its worth."
I truly think that's not worth at all, you can got similar picture (maybe even better) with the right to use when using good keywords and punctuation, or using a different search engine like yandex, tineye, baidu, and so on... and like Google, you can also use that very image (the one with watermark) to search similar images (upload to them and they will found all/or different sizes of that images)
Truly not worth, to try to remove that watermark IMVHO
Agree. I was asking from an academic point of view. I was totally amazed that my known GIMP tools totally fail against such a watermark. I chose that image for digital painting practice. I simply refer to it and draw something like that, nothing more. Smile
(07-10-2021, 06:21 AM)meetdilip Wrote: Agree. I was asking from an academic point of view.

No worries, a lot of things to learn as well Wink

(07-10-2021, 06:21 AM)meetdilip Wrote: I was totally amazed that my known GIMP tools totally fail against such a watermark.

It's not GIMP which fails, it's us, although we did not said our last word yet, let's take the challenge more seriously Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
@meetdilip

Quote: I was totally amazed that my known GIMP tools totally fail against such a watermark.

It will come with practice. Gimp is not a 'brain' just a tool. You would not use a hammer to drive a screw in, you use a screwdriver. (or would you)
You are the brain behind Gimp. While I do not condone infringing copyright, I do know that shutterst*ck and the like, trawl for images to slap their watermark on regardless of origin.

A single image, look at it, assess it, use what is required, selection / clone / anything. A watermark comes in many different forms, from a timestamp in a corner, to those several lines of text over an image.

If it was a whole load of images to process, I might spend a little time isolating the elements of the water mark and use some other method. In this case the heal-selection plugin. https://i.imgur.com/Gk9ZIhV.mp4 If I had a bit more time I might have set that up a bit better, such is life. The general idea, remove the outline first, then deal with the rest.

Keep practising.
I gave it a try with it > https://www.shutterstock.com/image-photo...1500829478
Just because I don't like pixelated picture (it hurts my eyes)

I did it a different way than rich2005
I worked on the edges at the very end with the script resynth-along-path (3px width, pixels to take from 7 -> which is the minimum)

to start with, I did path the letter in the middle of the white part (edges), each letter its own path (just because I was testing, and I did it only on the "s" and the "h" just because I'm lazy Wink .
Then path to selection, then Ctrl+C on the selected letter, => Ctrl+V > floating to new layer, that layer in "Addition mode" yep now the color looks very similar (just the outer edge are even brighter, but we don't care for now)

Merge down that letter layer to the image, then go on that letter path (in the path dock) right click on it, at the bottom you will got resynth along path, use the setting above (don't forget that the setting of the pugin are for the picture in the link above)

see the S disappeared (addition + edge resynth along path), see the "h" has the same lightness than the background/surrounding (did not resynth the "h", just layer in addition mode, the blue line you see is the path)