Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reshaping toolbox
Hi everyone,

If you go to https://www.gimp.org/news/2019/04/07/gim...-released/  and look at the toolbox under the words Transformation tools you'll see that the toolbox is in 2 columns. I can't make my toolbox 2 columns. I clicked on the right of the toolbox and tried to squeeze it (the way I did in previous versions) and I can only get it to be 3 columns. Just in case I'm not being clear I'm attaching my (wrong) results. I really need the toolbox to be just 2 columns. Is this a bug? Will it be fixed? Is this the new norm?
 Thanks, 
Frederick

Attached Files Image(s)

Just a clever B**** trying to make Gimp look a little like PeeShop and there is no need.

However, the cause is your computer display does not have sufficient depth. You need to remove some of the tool box icons.

You can do this in Edit -> Preferences -> Toolbox and un-tick the 'eye-ball' in the Tool Configuration' list. That will allow resizing the tools to a narrower width.

Not a good idea for a beginner, you do need those tool options really handy, but up to you.

A bit about it in the first part of the video here, although I do not show that exact 2 column configuration.

https://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-Fit-Gi...75#pid8475
Thank you so much. The reason I'm resizing the toolbox is because I have an online video that has the 2 column toolbox & I foresee future questions from people who view my lesson.

(05-10-2019, 06:34 PM)origininc Wrote: Thank you so much. The reason I'm resizing the toolbox is because I have an online video that has the 2 column toolbox & I foresee future questions from people who view my lesson.

Hi Rich (& everyone else),

I just tried your suggestion & unfortunately it didn't work.
Here is a screenshot of my toolbox after turning off most of the tools.

I also tried increasing my screen resolution & tried using other icons & had the same result.

Thanks again for your time it was / is appreciated.

Frederick

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(05-10-2019, 06:34 PM)origininc Wrote: Thank you so much. The reason I'm resizing the toolbox is because I have an online video that has the 2 column toolbox & I foresee future questions from people who view my lesson.

That is great, keep up the good work. The reason why I am dead against hiding or making the tool options difficult to see is many-many problems are PEBCAK.

User changes some tool settings, comes back later, forgets the changes but Gimp remembers between sessions. Tool does not work as anticipated. Happens all the time.

edit: Just seen your screenshot. Are you using a 4k monitor? that might be the problem You do not give any details of OS (although the windows decoration looks like MSWindows) or version of Gimp (looks like Gimp 2.8 ?). 
I see you have the toolbox detached, try using Gimp in single window mode.

Quote:I just tried your suggestion & unfortunately it didn't work.

A quick re-configure in a Windows 10 / Gimp 2.10 VM - two columns no problem, even one column if I want.

[Image: w6BBPYY.jpg]

and another re-configure, this time in multi-window mode, still ok.

[Image: DMlP5ip.jpg]
Wow Rich you are wonderful,

Just seen your screenshot. Are you using a 4k monitor? Not sure it's an old NEC monitor that was high end around 5 years ago

OS (although the windows decoration looks like MSWindows) Yes MSWindows 7
or version of Gimp (looks like Gimp 2.8 ?). Gimp is 2.10.10 but the theme is legacy

I see you have the toolbox detached, try using Gimp in single window mode. I did & it worked (I was able to swoosh my interface & get 2 columns). Now at least I have an answer in case someone asks. THANK YOU!

FYI:I absolutely love the new Gimp having the older icons just speeds up the learning curve for me.
Have a wonderful weekend,
Frederick