Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rotate freezes before completing
The main computer I use for GIMP is not that powerful and has only 8 Gigs of RAM and is 12 years old. It works fine with GIMP until I use Rotate and sometimes it's slow but completes other times it stalls and I have to close and reopen GIMP and try again.

I opened the same file on my powerful music studio computer using remote desktop and it rotated the image fine without stalling, so far that's my workaround on problem files. 

Here's what I tried with no success:
1) Tried clips not adjusting in the Rotate box.
2) Used the crop tool on my layer mask to make the original pic smaller - tried this with adjusting and clip options in the Rotate options..
3) Tried Menu > Layer > Layer to image size with all the above also
4) Tried Menu > Layer > Crop to Content 

When I select my layer mask and choose Scale in the box it shows that it's this size 5199x5040. When I click on rotate I see a box with a green progress circle going around clockwise. It'll do fine until about 3/4 or more and then it'll stop and then I see this blue circle that is rotating showing that it's processing, Yet the green has stopped moving.

In some instances the green is moving fast then super slow, so I let it complete and it's successful. Other times I let it go for a minute or 2 and it actually completes. Other times it's hopelessly stalled and I have to close GIMP and try again. Most of the time I can eventually get it to work, except for this 1 file.

I'm confused about what's meant by "confirmed rotation" Does this mean if I successfully rotate the image and then I see I need to rotate a 2nd x or more? In this problem file, I may be on my 2nd or 3rd rotation. So each time I rotate the pic, it increases in size and gets harder for the computer to complete it, right?

I Tried Menu > Layer > Crop to Content  The  green progress stalled  past 3/4, I let it go for a few minutes and then clicked on the x at the top right of the rotate box. It closed the rotate box and the the pic was successfully rotated - surprise. 

I tried it a 2nd time and let it go for about 2 min and this time, the x didn't close the rotate box and I had to close GIMP. So for now no consistent solution for this file. Any more suggestions?
Quote:.. Any more suggestions?..

(Without better information as to number of layers, workflow ...why and wherefore)

Quote:it's this size 5199x5040

That is quite a large image. Do you need to retain the layer with layer mask ? Can you perhaps duplicate the layer+mask and apply the mask. Then rotate that new layer. If you have lots of layers, maybe drag the new layer out to make a new 1 layer image and rotate that. Then drag back into the main image.
I  first made a copy of the layer + mask and chose "apply the mask" and I was able to rotate it fine, pretty fast.. I also tried this: deleted all the layers except the layer mask and it didn't work either.

So in general would it better for me to always choose clip and not adjusting? In this instance I left it on adjusting.

Thanks Rich you always come through with a solution.
(07-04-2021, 05:00 PM)GMP Wrote: The main computer I use for GIMP is not that powerful and has only 8 Gigs of RAM and is 12 years old.

OK I was not aware about that, that's quite old.
Is it an old HDD hanging around 5400 or 7200 rpm?
Processor is?

(07-04-2021, 05:00 PM)GMP Wrote: I'm confused about what's meant by "confirmed rotation" Does this mean if I successfully rotate the image and then I see I need to rotate a 2nd x or more? In this problem file, I may be on my 2nd or 3rd rotation. So each time I rotate the pic, it increases in size and gets harder for the computer to complete it, right?

Yes, this was the meaning indeed.

(07-04-2021, 05:00 PM)GMP Wrote: Any more suggestions?

Please can you give the specs of your computer's hardware (processor type/number Core/speed, HDD or SSD, and so on...)? before any suggestion

(07-04-2021, 05:18 PM)rich2005 Wrote:
Quote:it's this size 5199x5040

That is quite a large image.

I've a different point of view, for me it's a "normal" sized image, 5199x5040 is just around 25mp and is in a range of a "common" sized pictures, I would like to add that nowadays most of the "middle-low" range phones have a sensor around 40 - 50mp

IMHO it seems that's the computer's hardware which does not follow...
(07-05-2021, 06:17 AM)PixLab Wrote: I've a different point of view, for me it's a "normal" sized image, 5199x5040 is just around 25mp and is in a range of a "common" sized pictures, I would like to add that nowadays most of the "middle-low" range phones have a sensor around 40 - 50mp

Yes, but they do pixel-binning in most cases (a final pixel is the average of 4 pixels from the sensor), so your real image is 10-12Mpix.

Anyway, since processing is done on 32-bit FP values (4 bytes per channel), when you have a  25MP layer to process one color channel you need 100MB, and if the channels are not processed independently you need 300-400MB, so RAM gets used pretty quickly.
My desktop is similar age, bios says 2005, CPUX utilty says mainboard 2013 but a bit like Washingtons axe, many bits replaced over the years, 8 GB memory + a 2.9 GHz Athlon II ( Wink )

A 5000 x 5000 image + mask + a single layer under, gets up to 600 MB in memory, not inconsiderable.
Taking into account the mask, a 10 deg. rotation takes 52 seconds , with the mask applied 37 seconds.
That is the overhead rotating the mask as well, a good percentage.
There is a issue that might be relevant: https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gimp/-/issues/4979
(07-05-2021, 08:38 AM)Ofnuts Wrote: Yes, but they do pixel-binning in most cases (a final pixel is the average of 4 pixels from the sensor), so your real image is 10-12Mpix.

Learning something new to me  Smile I was not aware about pixel-binning, never heard before, thus I read some interesting articles, and noises wise it's interesting and I "understand" now why in night mode it does a surprisingly good job.
"so your real image is 10-12Mpix" I've checked an image in 48mp from my phone (sunny day time), it's a real 8000x6000 = 48mp (my phone has 4 cameras, maybe it's because of that? anyway, let's face it, it's out of my knowledge Big Grin )

(07-05-2021, 09:11 AM)rich2005 Wrote: My desktop is similar age, bios says 2005, CPUX utilty says mainboard 2013  but a bit like Washingtons axe, many bits replaced over the years, 8 GB memory + a 2.9 GHz  Athlon II ( Wink )

A 5000 x 5000 image + mask + a single layer under,  gets up to 600 MB in memory, not inconsiderable.
Taking into account the mask, a 10 deg. rotation takes 52 seconds , with the mask applied 37 seconds.
That is the overhead rotating the mask as well, a good percentage.

Oh My  Cry
I promise, I won't complain anymore when a G'MIC filter takes more than 30 seconds Blush

"Washingtons axe", never heard about it (I'm not American, though), nice story/myth about the cherry tree and the meaning behind it Wink
(07-04-2021, 08:58 AM)rich2005 Wrote: Not a bug, that behaviour ensures that none of the image is lost.  All depends on the image. There are options in the rotate tool see the Clipping drop down menu, use Clip instead of Adjust. The other transform tools also have this option.

Thanks for the Clip tip, but not a bug? A feature then? Crashing is a feature? How does a crash preserve the image?
From the OP
Quote: Most of the time I can eventually get it to work, except for this 1 file...

Do you have problems with the transform tools ? Convinced it is a bug and not hardware or user input related ?
then report it with details as an issue to the Gimp developers
https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gimp/-/issues