Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Script Fu - Batch Command Error
Learning Scrpt Fu is slow. Any assistance is welcome regarding the Error message.

I am trying to replicated the reported success of others who have posted online. I am running GIMP 2.10.32.

Opening CMD Window within the folder:

C:\Users\parkinsj\Desktop\GIMP_Batch\

; which contains two JPG files, I ran the following:

gimp-2.10 -i -b "(batch-auto-fix "C:\Users\parkinsj\Desktop\GIMP_Batch\img*.jpg")" -b "(gimp-quit 0)"

The result was:

batch command experienced an execution error:
Error: eval: unbounded variable: C:\Users\parkinsj\Desktop\GIMP_Batch\img*.jpg

The SCM file   batch-auto-fix.scm   is at location:

C:\Program Files\GIMP 2\share\gimp\2.0\scripts

The SCM file reads:

(define (batch-auto-fix pattern  
                radius  
                amount  
                threshold)  
  (let* ((filelist (cadr (file-glob pattern 1))))  
   (while (not (null? filelist))  
      (let* ((filename (car filelist))  
          (image (car (gimp-file-load RUN-NONINTERACTIVE  
                        filename filename)))  
          (drawable (car (gimp-image-get-active-layer image))))  
       (plug-in-unsharp-mask RUN-NONINTERACTIVE  
                  image drawable radius amount threshold)  
       (gimp-levels-stretch drawable)  
       (plug-in-color-enhance RUN-NONINTERACTIVE  
                  image drawable)  
       (gimp-file-save RUN-NONINTERACTIVE  
               image drawable filename filename)  
       (gimp-image-delete image))  
      (set! filelist (cdr filelist)))))
1) Learning Python-fu is somewhat faster,
2) "(batch-auto-fix "C:\Users\parkinsj\Desktop\GIMP_Batch\img*.jpg")" -b "(gimp-quit 0)": nested quotes and backslashes... the problem isn't Gimp, but the Windows shell processor (CMD.EXE).  You likely have to escape the quotes around  "C:\Users\parkinsj\Desktop\GIMP_Batch\img*.jpg" because they are inside those that delimit "(batch-auto-fix "C:\Users\parkinsj\Desktop\GIMP_Batch\img*.jpg")".  I don't remember if this is done by doubling them ("") or by putting a backslash (\"). Your error message indicates that the quotes where stripped out to the input string so Gimp no longer sees a string literal.

Then use (gimp-message ...) to print the values of the arguments you received and se of this is what you expect. No point in debugging code that doesn't receive proper arguments.
As Ofnuts says, your command line needs fixing:

gimp-2.10 -i -b "(batch-auto-fix \"C:\Users\parkinsj\Desktop\GIMP_Batch\img*.jpg\")" -b "(gimp-quit 0)"

Also you would be better putting the script in your personal scripts folder not in the system folder - the next update you do to GIMP runs the risk of removing anything that's not supplied by the GIMP installer.

Your personal folder would normally be C:\Users\parkins\AppData\Roaming\GIMP\2.10\scripts

I assume you already know that your script is going to overwrite your images.
(12-12-2022, 10:28 PM)Kevin Wrote: As Ofnuts says, your command line needs fixing:

gimp-2.10 -i -b "(batch-auto-fix \"C:\Users\parkinsj\Desktop\GIMP_Batch\img*.jpg\")" -b "(gimp-quit 0)"

Also you would be better putting the script in your personal scripts folder not in the system folder - the next update you do to GIMP runs the risk of removing anything that's not supplied by the GIMP installer.

Your personal folder would normally be  C:\Users\parkins\AppData\Roaming\GIMP\2.10\scripts

How does GIMP find the Personal Script Folder?

I am not familiar with GIMP Messages. I assume this is a way to get more details on the Error.

I ran this at the CMD Line.

gimp-2.10 -i -b "(batch-auto-fix \""C:\Users\parkinsj\Desktop\GIMP_Batch\img*.jpg\"")" -b "(gimp-quit 0)"

New result:

batch commend experienced an error:
Error: not enough arguments
(12-13-2022, 06:45 PM)James Parkinson Wrote:
(12-12-2022, 10:28 PM)Kevin Wrote: As Ofnuts says, your command line needs fixing:

Your personal folder would normally be  C:\Users\parkins\AppData\Roaming\GIMP\2.10\scripts

I am not familiar with GIMP Messages. I assume this is a way to get more details on the Error.

gimp-2.10 -i -b "(batch-auto-fix \""C:\Users\parkinsj\Desktop\GIMP_Batch\img*.jpg\"")" -b "(gimp-quit 0)"

New result:

Why the \"" (backslash double-quote)?

not enough arguments is a Scheme error, you are calling a function with not enough arguments. Looking at your code you define (batch-auto-fix pattern  radius  amount  threshold) so it takes 4 arguments and your line above only passes the pattern argument, so this is probably why Gim/Script-fu complains.
(12-14-2022, 06:11 PM)Ofnuts Wrote:
(12-13-2022, 06:45 PM)James Parkinson Wrote:

New result:

Why the \"" (backslash double-quote)?

not enough arguments is a Scheme error, you are calling a function with not enough arguments. Looking at your code you define (batch-auto-fix pattern  radius  amount  threshold) so it takes 4 arguments and your line above only passes the pattern argument, so this is probably why Gim/Script-fu complains.

I corrected the CMD line script to:
gimp-2.10 -i -b "(batch-auto-fix ""C:\Users\parkinsj\Desktop\GIMP_Batch\img*.jpg\"" 5.0 0.5 0)" -b "(gimp-quit 0)"

... and moderate success, no run errors

Now in checking the images they have not changed.

The learning curve continues.

Much thanks for your help.