Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Select By Color Bug?
So been using Gimp for years. High spec machine, version 2.10.34 and 36, both have this issue for me, windows 11 64 bit. Processing large greyscale images, suddenly Select By Color is killing other Toolbox selection, or come to that menu, or keyboard (Shift B for instance) Is this a known issue?, is there an issues forum? Can I roll back to older versions anywhere ?
(04-15-2024, 02:11 PM)andyseabrook Wrote: ....snip... Select By Color is killing other Toolbox selection, or come to that menu, or keyboard (Shift B for instance)...

Are you sure that the color select tool is not stuck in say intersect mode, that might replace other existing selections. Shift-B toggles subtract mode, works as expected here.

Quote:Is this a known issue?, is there an issues forum?

Not a problem here: kubuntu 22.04 / Gimp 2.10.36 I do not know about Windows 11.
The place to report bugs is https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gimp/-/issues

Quote:Can I roll back to older versions anywhere ?

Windows installers are here: https://download.gimp.org/gimp/v2.10/windows/

Try disabling your Gimp user profile. C:\Users\"yourname"\AppData\Roaming\GIMP\2.10\ by renaming say ....2.10-backup Start Gimp to make a new default profile. Is the problem still there ?
(04-15-2024, 02:40 PM)rich2005 Wrote:
(04-15-2024, 02:11 PM)andyseabrook Wrote: ....snip... Select By Color is killing other Toolbox selection, or come to that menu, or keyboard (Shift B for instance)...

Are you sure that the color select tool is not stuck in say intersect mode, that might replace other existing selections.  Shift-B toggles   subtract mode, works as expected here.

Quote:Is this a known issue?, is there an issues forum?

Not a problem here: kubuntu 22.04 / Gimp 2.10.36  I do not know about Windows 11.
The place to report bugs is https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gimp/-/issues

Quote:Can I roll back to older versions anywhere ?  

Windows installers are here: https://download.gimp.org/gimp/v2.10/windows/

Try disabling your Gimp user profile.  C:\Users\"yourname"\AppData\Roaming\GIMP\2.10\ by renaming say ....2.10-backup Start Gimp to make a new default profile. Is the problem still there ?

Thanks for coming back rich2005.  

"Are you sure that the color select tool is not stuck in say intersect mode" no I'm not sure, I dont know what that means. But all I have is a greyscale image, mostly black with white or at least black with lighter areas, and directly after loading with Select by Color I am clicking in the black area. So that defines a selection. And that's it, Gimp immediately becomes unresponsive.  I had intended to drop a fill into that area, blacking (RGB(0,0,0)) over the near black pixels. I have done this countless times.

Either way can you define how the image might be stuck in an intersect mode?

Thanks also for the other info.
The way I initially read your post was an existing selection and then a colour selection. Depending on the select mode - those 4 little icon toggles replace - add - subtract - intersect - will demolish an existing selection.

You clarified that - only a single colour selection (in replace mode ?) and Gimp locks up. It could be the threshold setting, it might be worth increasing the value (default is 15 try 40 or 50) or it might be Windows 11 ( upgrade from Win 10 ? )

You could report it as an issue, make sure you include a link to a "large grayscale" image that causes the problem. Difficult to comment without knowing what the image is.
(04-15-2024, 02:11 PM)andyseabrook Wrote: So been using Gimp for years. High spec machine, version 2.10.34 and 36, both have this issue for me, windows 11 64 bit. Processing large greyscale images, suddenly Select By Color is killing other Toolbox selection, or come to that menu, or keyboard (Shift B for instance) Is this a known issue?, is there an issues forum? Can I roll back to older versions anywhere ?
Can you post a link to the image and provide exact steps to illustrate the problem? Also which version of GIMP are you using?
(04-16-2024, 12:46 PM)programmer_ceds Wrote:
(04-15-2024, 02:11 PM)andyseabrook Wrote: So been using Gimp for years. High spec machine, version 2.10.34 and 36, both have this issue for me, windows 11 64 bit. Processing large greyscale images, suddenly Select By Color is killing other Toolbox selection, or come to that menu, or keyboard (Shift B for instance) Is this a known issue?, is there an issues forum? Can I roll back to older versions anywhere ?
Can you post a link to the image and provide exact steps to illustrate the problem? Also which version of GIMP are you using?

So this is really a reply to @programmer_ceds and @rich2005

I think rich is on the money with threshold - I cant seem to get below 8 without it locking up - I guess a memory thing. 
I wont post the whole image but here is a clip which hopefully will deliver a clearer understanding of the image.

https://pasteboard.co/U6eqx1uHkdB0.png

So the red circle contains 5 pixels that should be pushed outside the selection, but the yellow ellipse (although not clear here) contains pixels at between 0.7 - 0.9 grayscale that should be included in the selection. So I need to select at a threshold of 1.

The steps were as stated I open a greyscale image although I didnt mention it is a 16bit image "mostly black with white or at least black with lighter areas, and directly after loading with Select by Color I am clicking in the black area. So that defines a selection. And that's it, Gimp immediately becomes unresponsive."

As I said I intended to drop a fill into that area, blacking (RGB(0,0,0)) over the near black pixels, those in the yellow ellipse. And I did say that I have done this countless times, but thinking about it, not at this kind of a threshold.
 I guess that's the rub.

Perhaps there is another less hungry (if it is about memory) way of going about this. So I want to make all pixels less than 1 = 0.

Any suggestions welcome.