Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shear-tool has kind of stopped working
Pretty much what it says. I was trying to make a pixellated image of a 2000x3000 photo yesterday, using a video tutorial. It requires duplicating the original image 3 times, then using the shear-tool, set the top layer X magnitude to 1223 then pixelleating and setting it to -1223 and adjusting opacity before moving to the middle layer and  doing similar things.

After the pixellation part on the first layer, the shear-tool just stopped doing anything when I hand-type the number. I've shut it down, restarted computer, uninstalled and reinstalled and it just doesn't do anything. I've tried it on a different image and still nothing. If I use the arrows, it works for now, but hand-inserting numbers just makes it appear it's calculating something, but in reality, it doesn't do anything.

I'm running GIMP on a Samsung-laptop (SF311) and a WIN10. Still using GIMP 2.8
Should I just keep my fingers crossed that nothing else gets broken or is there a way to fix this?
(02-25-2018, 04:20 PM)miimers Wrote: Pretty much what it says. I was trying to make a pixellated image of a 2000x3000 photo yesterday, using a video tutorial. It requires duplicating the original image 3 times, then using the shear-tool, set the top layer X magnitude to 1223 then pixelleating and setting it to -1223 and adjusting opacity before moving to the middle layer and  doing similar things.

After the pixellation part on the first layer, the shear-tool just stopped doing anything when I hand-type the number. I've shut it down, restarted computer, uninstalled and reinstalled and it just doesn't do anything. I've tried it on a different image and still nothing. If I use the arrows, it works for now, but hand-inserting numbers just makes it appear it's calculating something, but in reality, it doesn't do anything.

Should I just keep my fingers crossed that nothing else gets broken or is there a way to fix this?

The first time I tried what you did I got a noticeable delay, but this didn't happen on further tries.

What I notice is that shearing that much creates a somewhat bigger layer (add 1223 pixels each side...) so you end up with a rather big image.

On the other hand your laptop isn't very recent...

If you go to Edit>Preference>Environment what is the Tile Cache size set to? Still 512M? if so can you increase it to 2GB (or even more if you have more than 3GB.
(02-25-2018, 05:04 PM)Ofnuts Wrote:
(02-25-2018, 04:20 PM)miimers Wrote: Pretty much what it says. I was trying to make a pixellated image of a 2000x3000 photo yesterday, using a video tutorial. It requires duplicating the original image 3 times, then using the shear-tool, set the top layer X magnitude to 1223 then pixelleating and setting it to -1223 and adjusting opacity before moving to the middle layer and  doing similar things.

The first time I tried what you did I got a noticeable delay, but this didn't happen on further tries.

What I notice is that shearing that much creates a somewhat bigger layer (add 1223 pixels each side...) so you end up with a rather big image.

On the other hand your laptop isn't very recent...

If you go to Edit>Preference>Environment what is the Tile Cache size set to? Still 512M? if so can you increase it to 2GB (or even more if you have more than 3GB.

It's at just over 3,1GB. This laptop has been souped up a little by the previous owner.  Smile
So it's basically just a memory issue? If it is, I'll just have to try and work with smaller pixelizations. My desktop broke a while back and I really need this laptop for work as a new one isn't possible right now.
(02-25-2018, 05:29 PM)miimers Wrote: It's at just over 3,1GB. This laptop has been souped up a little by the previous owner.  Smile
So it's basically just a memory issue? If it is, I'll just have to try and work with smaller pixelizations. My desktop broke a while back and I really need this laptop for work as a new one isn't possible right now.

Hard to tell... is there any CPU or disk activity? Are other apps still usable when this happens?